Dual Web server install accomplished – SP18 and SP20 web installs running at same time:

rosymice

Dual Web server install accomplished – SP18 and SP20 web installs running at same time:

I am presently running a Development environment web client on SP20 and have Production and PY still on SP18. Two different JDE HTML Web Servers on the same machines. Maybe the majority of you know this can be done, but for me, figuring this out saved me a lot of down time. The SP documentation for web clients doesn’t walk you through what to do if you’re already up and running on a different SP. The recommendation from JDE KG was to remove the old install and do everything fresh! Including the install of websphere, NO WAY. This would of meant my production web clients would be down for a long time. As it was, even without starting from scratch, if I wouldn’t of had my original install running, they would have been down for weeks because - of course - the install didn’t go smoothly. By using names and ports different from the original install I’m able to have two installs running consecutively.

SETUP AND SITUATION:
My enterprise server is on an AS400 machine; the deployment server is on an integrated network card on this machine. My jas server is on a separate AS400 iseries, the generated objects contained in F989998, F989999 and F98BLOB are stored on this machine. The web server was originally setup using websphere 3.5 and SP18. When I went to upgrade to SP20, I found that it is more than just an upgrade; it’s a complete install.

HOW I DID THE INSTALL:
In addition to my normal tape saves, I backed up my integrated file folders on the AS400, my generation folders on the generation machine and ran XMLConfig to backup websphere.

I didn’t upgrade the websphere version, I stayed on 3.5.

During the web server install I used the default websphere configuration names (which were different then my original names). I used the default installation path (which was also different than my original path name). I used a different HTTP port number.

I created a new HTTP server configuration and server instance (when creating the server instance I chose “original” not Apache (KG was checking to see if Apache can be used with websphere 3.5 but I haven’t received an answer yet).

I copied the jas build to the generation machine (also different folder names by default). I generated just the Development pathcode using the new generator (after doing ESU JD16345 which changed the F98 files).

I’m using a modified URL address containing the new port number and now can access the development web client using SP20.
NOTE: As stated previously I am still using the old install (SP18) for production until SP20 is tested.

**** I will be doing another entry describing some of the things I noticed when doing the SP20 install and some of the errors I made.

Back