Adding AS/400 ES server

cody_bell

cody_bell

Hello List,

I want to install a second AS/400 ES on LPAR for testing.
This ES will have DV, PY & PD loaded on it, maybe later JAS also.
Our current ES will be for Production users only. I want to install the second ES as separate but sharing the deployment server. I also want to be able to run UBEs from production ES on the test ES. The plan is to install ESUs, ASUs & updates to the test ES. After testing is complete I will copy PD from the test ES to the production ES.

I have gone through the "Adding a Server to an Existing Configuration" section of the Installation Guide and this doesn't seem to cover everything I'm looking for.

If you are running a 24/7 shop I would be interested in your configuration. My main goal is to have a system where ESU, ASU, update and service pack installs have little or no impact on my production users.

Any advice or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

I can appreciate your problem w/ 24/7. However, for the same OneWorld installation, I'm not sure how you will create two different Production environments, unless you call them something different from each other, like PD7333 and PD7333tst. If you do this you will be creating a new environment and having to setup OMW rules to update each. Copying an environment to another takes longer than performing an ESU update, so I'm not sure what this will give you.

Cody,

What you want to do is quite common, but there is no real need to have two copies of PD. With proper object control PY is usually sufficient for testing. Data can be readily copied from PD to PY or an alternative environment using PY objects, this will keep the OMW as simple as possible.

I would normally set up a Production server with PD Objects and Data, System, DD, OL etc, and set the other machine up to use these shared datasources and load JD, DV, PY on the other. I have had a number of clients doing this, one with the addition of Mimix copying the prod machine to another LPAR used in clustering.

If you must have another PathCode, put it between PY and PD, (PreLive for example) and ammend the OMW rules accordingly because, as has already been stated, its mostly quicker to promote and apply ESUs directly into PD rather than coping the whole lot accross.

Hopes this helps.

Regards

Hi Cody

I have done this many times in the past - installing the logic objects onto the 2nd Enterprise Server - and setting it up for package builds to prevent packages from impacting production. Very good idea - you want to share a number of libraries using LPAR between the AS400 - and I can help identify these if you wish.

Back