Change of OneWorld Servers

Suresh P Kumar

Hi List,

We are in the process of moving our OneWorld Intstallation to new machines as for better processing power and more disk space. During this process we are also going to change the name of the server as per company policies. Please let me know what might be the consequence that we may have to face. Is this procedure been done by anyone in
the list? If so please advice.

We have Two Enterprise Servers and One Deployment Server.

Once the change of servers are done what are the steps to check that the process has gone through successfully.

OW Xe SP15.1 SQL7.0 WinNT

Hi,

I really don't recommend to change the server names. There are a couple of OW tables that have that machine name coded as machine key.

My suggestion is to break the company naming convention for the OW servers, leave the server names as they are.

We have been in the same situation as you are now. We left the names. But if you have to change the IP-addresses. This is no big deal.

regards,

Thomas

pishachi do you have to carrey out business data with you???
any way have a look at OTI-99-0057 on the KG...its very easy

Since you are moving to a new machine, you can change the name of your server. We have done this. You can add the new machine to the oneworld configuration through Add on Server plan. There are couple of discussions in this list as well as some documents in KG. Please review these files for server name change. JDE.INI, F00167, F91300, F91320, F98611, F986110.

We went through the process that you discribed. My recomendation is to take your time and do a dry run or two.

Migrate your data to the new servers. Test, Test, Test. Make sure that your configuration is good and the business data and control tables are clean. Work out the timing on how long it takes to refresh your business data from machine to machine. Once you are confident of the new machines, schedule a weekend outage and transfer your data over. Keep the old machines availible but off-line to the users. This will server as your fall-back option.

Good luck, careful planning!

Gregg Larkin
North American CNC guy; Praxair, Inc.
XE, Update 19, Win 2K, SQL 2K, Citrix XP

Back