ok you geniuses, need help.

abc123

We are designing our PO processing for our new JDE OneWorld systems. In our business, it is desirable to enter release schedules on the system so we can project loads that are coming in. In testing this, we will enter a PO for a total order with a breakout of each item we are ordering and when we want it delivered on the enter po screen. That’s fine and dandy, but when we want to enter our receipts for those loads, a problem arises. While we may schedule a load to arrive with a certain amount of each product, we never get them that way. This is because our supplier is concerned about there own production runs and fitting loads on their trailers as they see fit. That’s fine and dandy too, there’s nothing wrong with establishing shipping efficiencies. Keep in mind that we will order product in 5 to 10 separate loads at a time.

When we receive the load, we would like to enter the receipt amount only once on the po screen per item. For example, If we receive 800 units of an item with an open amount scheduled to be received that day of 900, this will leave a balance of 100 units. The problem is with the arrival of the next load. Let’s say the next day’s shipment comes in at 900 and we had scheduled to receive 800. We now have extra work involved in entering a single line of 100 and another single line of 800 to close this out. It also increases the chances of making an addition error. You will need to imagine much larger quantities and many suppliers here.

Is there a way to configure the system to be able to enter the receipt amount on the second day in the example above as 900 and have it automatically apply to the oldest balance outstanding? Or is it possible to have all outstanding balances for the same item appear as a total quantity to apply against? Otherwise we are spending all of our time managing a whole bunch of little PO’s that we don’t care about. We care about receiving the item in and taking that receipt against the total outstanding order, not how the receipts compare to the original order. Custom programming? I hope not.

Confused? Let me know if I can be more clear.

Re: RE: ok you geniuses, need help.

Blanket orders allow you to create a big PO and create additional PO's based on your expected releases. How would that resolve our problem of receipting in only the actual amount that was received? It would seem to me that you would need to create that additional PO when you have opened the trailer to count what was on it and then receive it at the same time. That would be two steps to receive a PO. Is there a way around that?

If I understood your need properly you want to have an ability to enter an individual purchase order for each shipment but the ability to enter receipts against the outstanding balance from a prior shipment or against the next shipment PO in the case of an overage. You didn't state it but it sounds like you also want to control that you only receive the total amount that you entered on the PO's as a whole.

One idea would be to create one PO with multiple lines for each item. One line for each shipment date with the anticipated quantity. Then when you use Receive by PO, you would be able to enter your receipts against the necessary lines fairly easily.

If you need to keep a seperate PO for each shipment for other reasons then you could use Receive by Item. This would bring up all open lines for the item and allow you to easily enter against the oldest outstanding order first. This is probably your best option.

If you are not concerned with controlling the overall amount of an item received over the sequence of shipments then you can just set up the receiving functions to allow you to receive greater than the quantity on the PO line. When you under receive then you would receive using option 7 that allows you to receive against a PO line and automatically cancel the remainder. This would also store the necessary information that you would need to run reports to compare your original order to the actual received on both an individual shipment basis and an overall basis.

Patrick Conlon
XE SP20 Update 4, DB2400, Fat Client, Citrix, JAS

Devi,

Can I sugest that if you exchange on this subject with him you do it on the JDELIst Forum so everybody can benefit from your knowledge.

Thanks !

Christian Audet

Just an update to how we are going to handle this for our initial go live. I have not emailed regarding Receipts Management and would prefer to handle it online.

We will be creating a separate PO for each scheduled load, even though we plan out 5 or 6 loads at a time. We will then need to receipt in the amount listed on the bill of lading with the automatic cancellation of any remaining amounts. If they ship us something that is on the wrong po/load (in other words, it is in the total order, but they shifted it to a different release date to make their life easier), then we will have to add the amount to the current po and receive it. We will then need to go to the future po/load and decide if we want to remove it from that one so our open order amount is correct.

I would still prefer to receive a po in one quantity and have it auto apply to the oldest outstanding balances of open PO's. We can survive on the steps listed above for now.

I would like to hear more about Receipts Management.

Sorry for this Delayed response! Please take a look into Receipt Routing,
this might help as I think you plan to handle multiple receipts.
Devi

We will be creating a separate PO for each scheduled load, even though we
plan out 5 or 6 loads at a time. We will then need to receipt in the amount
listed on the bill of lading with the automatic cancellation of any
remaining amounts. If they ship us something that is on the wrong po/load
(in other words, it is in the total order, but they shifted it to a
different release date to make their life easier), then we will have to add
the amount to the current po and receive it. We will then need to go to the
future po/load and decide if we want to remove it from that one so our open
order amount is correct.

I would still prefer to receive a po in one quantity and have it auto apply
to the oldest outstanding balances of open PO's. We can survive on the steps