Vocabulary Overrides + Update Package = BOOM!

timallen

timallen

Well Known Member
We have vocabulary overrides an several apps, including P010102. I put these apps in an update package and distributed them to some workstations. The apps with VOs all blow up horribly, causing a GPF and the closure of OneWorld.

I found that doing a check out of the app in OMW fixes this problem. But I want to know what I did wrong for next time. Should I have included something else in the package for this to work?

Thanks in advance.

From ott-00-0076:

"When making Vocabulary Override changes in the Vocabulary Overrides application, the application updates the information in the Central Objects database directly. The information is not updated in the workstation's local specifications."

This is important information.

More info can be found in ott-02-0047.

Thanks, b_o_k,
Once again, I am amazed at your knowledge of the KG Docs.

As I understand it, then, I make a VO to an interactive app, and that information goes into Central Objects. To see that change on my or any other workstation, I have to either do an advanced Get or receive an update package.

In my case, the advanced Get works fine, but the Update package does not. An example:
1) I apply vocabulary overrides to P010102 and P55EXAMP. Now central objects has those changes.
2) I create an update package containing these two apps, and distribute it to a workstation.
3) Now when I run either P010102 or P55EXAMP from that workstation, OneWorld shuts down without warning.
4) If I do an advanced Get of these two apps from the OMW, both apps run fine.

So I'm still kind of puzzled. Should I have distributed something else in the update package as well? In creating the update package, I simply chose a valid parent package, chose the applications with modifications, and left all other values at their defaults.

Thanks again for your help.

Here is some text from the doc:

"In Object Management Workbench (OMW) do an Advanced Get of the application to overwrite the local specs, run the application from OMW, review the changes. When the changes are final, check out, run and check in the application; build/deploy an update of the application."

The only thing that I see in here that you did not mention having done is to run the app after you Adv Get. This may or may not be necessary and you may or may not have done it and not mentioned it.

Other than that, the steps you listed look correct. Some folks on the developer side of jdelist may be able to provide insight as well.

I just wanted to say thanks because this post was really helpful, I was looking for information about Vocabulary OVerrides and this came perfect!

Thanks.

Back