Version info

jaisejames

Well Known Member
Hi I am little confused, We have few object Z procees object and we are creatign new version and running it thru Scheduler, Now My understanding of it was once i create a version , i check it back in the server buidl aserver package to deploy it to the apps server to make it run. Now i haven't build any package but these new version are runnign successfully..... Can any one shed some light on this

When running a new batch version on the enterprise server (ES) the specs
are automatically deployed to the ES. Look at KG Document OTT-02-0005
on "How to Deploy Batch Version Changes".

ENT: AS400 V5R1 OW Xe Update 5 Coexistence SP19 D1
DEP: Win2000 SP3, SQL 7 SP3
JAS: Win2000 (pending)

,gm

Hi I am little confused, We have few object Z procees object and we are
creatign new version and running it thru Scheduler, Now My understanding
of it was once i create a version , i check it back in the server buidl
aserver package to deploy it to the apps server to make it run. Now i
haven't build any package but these new version are runnign
successfully..... Can any one shed some light on this
CNC Consultant ( NT/2k,Citrix,JAS,SQL,ORACLE)
NEW YORK NEW JERSEY
--------------------------
To view this thread, go to:
http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=46271

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+
This is the JDEList One World« / XE mailing list/forum.
Archives and information on how to SUBSCRIBE, and
UNSUBSCRIBE can be found on the JDEList Forum at
http://www.JDEList.com

JDEList is not affiliated with JDEdwards«

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+

AS400 V5R1 Coexist CO-Win2000 NT Xe SP19 D1

Here's what I found out how versions seem to work:

Interactive versions:
- ADDING a version results in adding a record in Oracle to the version table, so it is immediately available to all users/terminal servers
- CHANGING a version results in changes in Oracle in the version table, so it is immediately in effect to all users/terminal servers
- CHECK OUT/IN of interactive versions is therefore not applicable/available

Batch versions:
- CHANGING the processing options of an existing batch version results in changing the values in Oracle in the version table, so it is immediately in effect to all users/terminal servers and the enterprise server. (what about already submitted batches, old or new options???)
- CHANGING Data Selection/Sequencing of a batch version can ONLY be done if the version is checked out to that machine. Changing the data selection/sequencing results in ONLY changing the LOCAL SPECIFICATIONS on the terminal server/fat client you are working on at that moment! When you submit the version, it will run with the NEW data selection (even without checking it in).
- CHECK-IN of a changed batch version results in copying the LOCAL SPECIFICATION that is on that terminal server into the DATABASE. If you don't check in the version it will remain ONLY on the terminal server and the next deploy will overwrite it!
- OTHER terminal servers and the enterprise server will still have the OLD data selection, so blind execution from another terminal server or on the enterprise server (via the scheduler) will result in running the report with the OLD data selection.
- CHECK-OUT of a batch version results in generating new LOCAL SPECIFICATION based on what's in the database. If you changed the data selection on one machine and checked it in, a check-out on another machine will result in having these changed data selections also on that machine. Without a check-out, these changed data selections can only be made available via a deployment.
- ADDING a new batch version results ONLY in adding definitions to the LOCAL SPECIFICATION on the terminal server/fat client you are working on. So other terminal servers and the enterprise server even don't know about your new version!
- SUBMITTING the new version (without even checking it in) results first in copying your local specifications to the enterprise server and then running it (assuming it runs on the server). After this activity you could also schedule the new version, because the enterprise server has the specifications locally.
- AN ALTERNATIVE is that after submitting the batch version, you can click row-exit Advanced and tick 'Submit Version Specifications Only'. This results in COPYING the LOCAL SPECIFICATION from the machine where you are submitting to the LOCAL SPECIFICATION where the report runs ONLY. So, scheduling it on the enterprise server will then work, even when you never ran it before from the terminal server.

Gentlemen:

Thanks for your help and info really appreciated
Jaise

Back