AS400 Housekeeping

sbreitenbach

We've been using OW for almost two years now, and have done very little housekeeping on our AS/400, as it relates to spooled reports, completed submitted jobs, etc. I've done several search in here for various types of tips and techniques to clean house somewhat. I've found some things that have been pretty useful. I was wondering if there is a document somewhere that has all this "stuff" in one place.

I'm talking about things I've found like deleting the *SQLPKG, deleting U* and T* files in QGPL, running R9861101 and R9861102, etc.

Is there such a document already created? Is there a chance I can get it?

We're not in a tight spot on disk space, but it would be nice to periodically do some housecleaning, to hopefully increase performance, and reduce the unneccessary clutter that OW leaves around.

If there isn't a document around, just leave your tip on this thread, and maybe I'll formulate one in the near future.

Your help is appreciated.

Not sure what exactly what you are looking for. There is a document on the KG outlining R9861101 (oti-01-0112). I also received info from the Help Desk in Denver on how to delete SQLPKG.

Procedures for deleting OneWorld SQL Packages

Steps:
1) Make sure all OneWorld users are signed-off from OneWorld
2) End OneWorld services using ENDNET command
3) Type CLRIPC command
4) End Host server -- Type ENDHOSTSVR *ALL
5)Type ENDSBS QSERVER *IMMED
6)To find out what SQL packages exist, enter the command
WRKOBJ OBJ(*ALLUSR/*ALL) OBJTYPE(*SQLPKG)
[ To find out if any job is accessing a specific package in a library, enter the following command WRKOBJLCK OBJ(libraryname/sqlpackgename) OBJTYPE(*SQLPKG) ]
7) Delete all JDE and Oneworld created SQL packages. Use the command:
WRKOBJ *ALL/*ALL *SQLPKG
USE OPTION 8 TO IDENTIFY THE CREATION INFORMATION IF YOU ARE UNCERTAIN ABOUT THE PACKAGE. AND USE OPTION 4 TO DELETE ALL APPROPRIATE SQLPACKAGES.
[DO NOT DELETE any system packages in libraries QIWS and QSYS. DELETE ONLY THE JDE OWNED SQLPACKAGES.DO NOT DELETE ANY WITH SQLPACKAGE STARTING WITH "Q" ]
8) START THE QSERVER SUBSYSTEM BY TYPING THE FOLLOWING COMMAND:
STRSBS QSERVER
9) Start Hostserver using the command:
STRHOSTSVR *ALL
Ignore any IPX failure messages.
10) Start OneWorld services by STRNET command

I wrote a "simple" CL to delete the SQLPGK

DLTSQLPKG SQLPKG(B7333SYS/A*)
MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000)

I basically repeat this for all OW libraries and every data name EXCEPT "Q". We bring down OW weekly to perform a full system backup. Part of the procedure is to delete the SQLPKG. Hope this helps.

Tom

That is what I was looking for. Any tips and/or procedures that people go through to do some sort of cleanup work on the 400. I'm looking for something like a FAQ for AS/400 housekeeping that I can keep and refer to once a quarter or once a year.

Thanks for your input.

Glad I was able to help. We are almost ready to go live. I am waiting for the "powers that be" to determine how long jobs should be kept in the print spooler. Here is anohter one I just remembered: you might also want to check out the download portion of the JDEList forum. There is a utility there that will allow you to delete files from your terminal server (deletefilesolderthan.exe). Although R9861101 will purge the OW print spooler and the AS400 "entry", if any users have "viewed submitted reports" it will not clean up the PDF files in the "Print Queue" folder on the TS.

Hi,

One thing to remember, you can not have more than 32572 members in the PRINTQUEUE file. So if you have more than 32572 entries in the job submitted queues, you jobs will fail.

Adrian,

We have had this issue here. Unfortunately the jobs don't fail for us,
they just do not create a printout (can't add the entry). JDE is aware of
the problem. We keep 6 days worth of printouts and run about 25K members
in printqueue on our English/Western European instance and about 2500 on
our Japanese instance.

Tom Davidson
Xe U1 700+ ESU's; CO on SQL; ES AS/400; TSE w/Metaframe; 2 instances
Eng/West European; Japanese

So if you have more than 32572 entries in the job submitted queues, you
jobs will fail.

OW 7333 SP 19.1, AS/400, WIN2K, TSE 2000, Metaframe XP FR 1, CO SQL 7.0

There's also an issue on the AS/400 where each UBE is creating a spool file (you can see in WRKSPLF systemuserprofile) that has a couple of entries like: Could not change directory to /PD7333/res/fonts. These spool files can be deleted on a regular basis also. You might not see these spool files until you upgrade to V5R1.

If you create a directory in the IFS of
/PD7333/resource/fonts (or whatever was in the spoolfile) then these no longer are generated. Very easy to make go away!

Jean,
Thanx for that one!! Mine are loaded! We are on V4R5, going (hopefully) to
V5R1 and I can see them and I will delete them.

Thanks, JDE didn't mention that when I called.

Jean Driscoll
AS/400 Co-existent Xe 17.1, Update 4/A73Cum12

Wow - only 32,000 entries ?

Even NT can support 64,000 entries !

Is there any way to change this to be a higher number ? I know of companies that are trying to generate 20,000 UBE's per day - though admittedly on Unix more than on AS400 - but surely larger corporations doing heavy distribution transactions perform the similar loads with AS400 ? I know of at least several that are using AS400 to run a large distribution center.

Jon,

Wow - only 32,000 entries ?

Even NT can support 64,000 entries !

Goes back to how JDE designed the process. They chose to take advantage of
an AS/400 attribute where you can define the file once and have up to 32K
data sets in that format. Each DS can have approx. 1T records in it.

They could (and in my opinion) should have done is either created the PDF's
in the IFS where there is no realistice limit to the number, or even better
created keyed records in the PRINTQUEUE file, thereby geting high
performance access to the PDF records (since they would have to copy them
to the PDF later anyway).

We run about 4000 UBE's a day and keep about 6 days worth of PDF's in the
printqueue.

Tom Davidson
Xe Up 1 700+ ESU's; ES: AS/400: CO on SQL; W2K TSE w/Metaframe XP; 2
instances English/Western European & Japanese

OW 7333 SP 19.1, AS/400, WIN2K, TSE 2000, Metaframe XP FR 1, CO SQL 7.0

Back