Table copies for go live

Kevin_Gray

Hi List,

We're planning on going live in a couple of weeks. We don't have the traditional environments setups though and I'm trying to get things back on track. We have Dev, Prototype and Production but we created a custom environment that uses the PY7333 pathcode but has a separate database for the Business Data and Control Tables. The reason for the custom environment was for a demo environment after the IT people went to training but instead it was used to setup the Financials. Dev and Protoype was setup for payroll. Production was never used and therefore the JDE_PRODUCTION database is empty and no ESU/ASU's have been applied to that environment.
Here's the dilemma. JDE_PRODUCTION has only 2088 tables. JDE_DEVELOPMENT has 2291 tables and this custom environment has 2226 tables. I want to copy all Business Data and Control tables from this custom Environment to Dev and get rid of the custom environment. Then do a "Mirror Image" of Dev to Prod. This would get all the code of the custom mods and anything new from the ESU/ASU's applied plus the setup data from the Test finance environment, now Dev. One of the project leaders wants to copy just the finance data tables from the custom environment to production and go live from there (thinking that the central objects/version refresh is going to be done prior to). I just don't think that its that easy just because of the missing tables in Prod. I know that ESU's and ASU's now generate tables and indexes and populate tables that they create. I'm just concerned that if we don't do a full business data refresh from our test environment and only copy the selected finance tables that the missing tables created by ESU/ASU's could cause us grief. I tend to think that if ESU/ASU's create tables its to fix issues whether it be for performance or just adding functionality.

Does anyone share my point of view or can anyone let me know the proper way to approach this. I hope this makes sense. I'm trying to keep this post brief, sorry!

Please help!!

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin,

You got a dilemma that I can relate to. Sorry but I got bad news, you _need_ to apply all the ESUs/ASUs to your production environments, before you start copying tables. We tried to do just a copy of the tables from Prod down to CRP, before we brought the good data from TEST to CRP for our testing after applying Update 6, but it blew up big time! There is a procedure to copy the data from one environment to another, the document name for AS/400 is OTI-02-0060, the title is "Creating a Mirror Image of the CRP Environment for the PROD Environment" you should be able to find a like document for your setup, based off the title - one hopes.
As for the ESUs and ASUs remember they do modify the code of the BSFNs, APPLs, RPTs as well as add/modify new Menu options and UDCs. So if you do not have the ESUs/ASUs applied to production you will not have the same look/feel as your test environments. And the fixes that you needed that the ESUs fixed won't be there.

Good Luck!

Kevin,

you have a few options. The first is to apply all ESU's and ASU's to
PD7333 - the way JDE wants it to be done. Then use the R98403 to copy any
data or central objects from the appropriate environment. You can also do
all the work through SQL Enterprise Manager or right in Query Analyser.
Using the JDE tools is easier if you don't know SQL Server . However if you
have a slow system or you're in a crunch for time then SQL tools work well.
JDE doesn't support these tools but they are very useful.

Are you doing a big bang or phased implementation? This changes how you copy
data to Production and prepare the environment. When are you going live with
what module? You can email me at [email protected] and I can offer more
specific assistance.

Have you done any integrated testing of OneWorld and Finance and HR/Payroll?
You mentioned that they're setup in different environments. I've done a
number of Finance/HR/Payroll implementations in Canada and can truly say
that things are really different when you put them together.

I'd definately ensure that all environments were identical with respect to
central objects and the number of tables...especially if you're going live
with HR/Payroll.

Colin

Colin Dawes | Senior Technical Consultant | Syntax.net
95 Mural St., Suite 105, P.O. Box 16 | Richmond Hill, ON, Canada | L4B 3G2
Tel (905) 709-4466 Ext. 444
[email protected]
www.syntax.net

Colin Dawes, Sr. Technical Consultant
Syntax.net
B733.1 to ERP 8.0