Using WinXP client for building update packages

DSauve

DSauve

Legendary Poster
We've just moved our deployment server from Win NT4.0 to Win2K. Most of our clients are Win2K, but we have one WinXP(Pro) client in our IT group which we'd like to be able to use for building update packages. I know there was an issue using Win2K clients to build update packages when the deployment server was Win NT4.0. Has anyone run across any problems or had success building update packages on a WinXP client with a Win2K deployment server?

since the OS is actually relatively the same, there should not be an issue at all - however, I really don't like doing development on Windows XP and I'd recommend upgrading (!!!) it to Windows 2000.

While we're upgrading (from XP -> 2000) - does anyone have a new DOS 2.21 Disk. I'd really like to clean up this Windows 2000 machine...

db

I'm sorry did you say you needed a DOS 2.21 diskette? I've still got a
shrink wrapped copy of DOS 3.3 for nostalgia but I don't think I'll be
opening it until it's worth more than 2 cents.

Try www.bootdisk.com

Colin

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 6:19 PM
Subject: Re: Using WinXP client for building update packages

Disk. I'd really like to clean up this Windows 2000 machine...db

Colin Dawes, Sr. Technical Consultant
Syntax.net
B733.1 to ERP 8.0
Oracle 8i/9i/SQL Server 2K, DB2

DOS 2.21 ?

I don't think there was a version of 2.21 -

lemme see now

1.0 came out in 1981 - The original version of MS-DOS. This was a renamed version of QDOS which had been purchased by an upstart company called Microsoft from Seattle Computer.
1.25 appeared in 1982 - this added support for double-sided disks. Previously the disk had to be turned over to use the other side
2.0 arrived in 1983 which added support for IBM's 10 MB hard disk, directories and double-density 5.25" floppy disks with capacities of 360 KB
2.11 was out in 1983 and supported foreign and extended characters.
3.0 was the next version in 1984 and provided support for high-density (1.2 MB) floppy disks and 32 MB hard disks.

I was using Apple IIe's between 1979 and 1980 - and remember DOS 1 appearing on the IBM PC in 1981 which was the machine just prior to the XT !

Probably none of this relates to JDE at all - but is fun anyway !

I'd guess, then, the reason I am looking for 2.21 is - I can't find it...

Logic must tell me there is a reason (perhaps someone on the WARP team could provide an answer?)...

I didn't believe there was a 'released' 2.21, either...

I enjoy the effort, anyway.

db

Back