Security Authorization on Citrix Server

pianosynth

Reputable Poster
I have had a rather strange occurance since converting from a Windows NT Citrix 1.8 farm to a W2K Citrix XP FR2 farm weekend before last. The procedure we followed was to install a Full package to each server in the farm, populate the DD and Global tables, then launch JDE from the desktop. So far, so good, and everything was fine for 10 days until yesterday. One, and only one, of the servers in the 16 server farm suddenly started asking for Security Authorization at login even though it had 3 people connected and working just fine. I have the system locked down so that only an Admin can Get Authorization (NTFS restriced on the DS) so we had to remove that server from the published app list, log to the desktop, launch JDE and Get Authorization. After that, everything is fine. I don't see anything untoward in the logs, so I'm very puzzled why this happened all of a sudden. Has anyone seen something similar? Should I expect this to recur on this or other servers in the farm? Can I do anything proactive to head this off? Your guidance and input would be greatly welcomed!

We had a similar problem when we first set up our Citrix Metaframe Xp
Farm, we tried at first to use a IMS server to deploy all our packages.
We were getting security authorization screens on all servers though,
finally figured out that it was not updating the jdeauth, jdesec,
jdemod, jdeapp files. We had a couple of other problems using the IMS
through Citrix, so just scrapped it all together and went back to
installing on each server. Don't know if this helps since it happens on
only one server.

Hi Pianosynth :

I had the same problem on B7332 SP15.1 with 7 servers running as a Citrix XP
farm.
Once or twice a month, that same licensing message pops up and have to call
Denver for
SPC codes. Have tried to upgrade to newer JDE SPs but it's still there.
Both (JDE and my customer) don't know how to solve that bug.

Regards, Sebastian Sajaroff
B7321 to ERP8, NT, SQL, W2K, Citrix

This could happen for the following reasons :

1. JDEAUTH.DDB file gets deleted off C:\
2. Authorization Code expires
3. System date is incorrectly set temporarily (deletes JDEAUTH.DDB)
4. Machine name changes

Hey, Jon, thanks for the response.
1. JDEAUTH.DDB file gets deleted off C:\
2. Authorization Code expires
3. System date is incorrectly set temporarily (deletes JDEAUTH.DDB)
4. Machine name changes
I'm checking with the Citrix Admins to make sure that # 1 and 3 aren't the case. I can definitely rule out number 4 which leaves a question on number 2. If that had occurred, would it not have affected all 16 of the servers instead of just 1? The machines were all loaded with JDE on the same day, so they should have all had identical date stamps and slightly different time stamps, shouldn't they?

Hi,

Also check to see if the NT administrator didn't put NT security on the C:\ directory. User must have full control of the security files on c:\.

We also have the same problem with our citrix servers and JDE is helpless. I just had to put in a new set of SPC codes. Are you on SP18.1? Thanks

Pianosynth,

I ran into the same problem several times (I have 15 terminal servers). Here's how to recreate the problem and the fix. Manually set the date back by more than 24 hours on the terminal server. Log in to JDE, up pops the security violation message! In my case, it turns out that the Infrastructure guys had a scheduled time resynchronization for midnight. Since I have users in 22 time zones using my terminal servers, that caused JDE to get confused. My solution was to have the infrastructure guys schedule the time resynch to earlier in the evening, haven't seen the glitch since!

Good luck!

Gregg Larkin
Praxair Global CNC guy
XE, SP19.1, Win 2K, Win 2K cluster, SQL 2K, Citrix XP FR2

Gregg,

I was able to recreate the problem but I have a question.

How did moving the time synchronization earlier fixed your problem?

Thanks

By moving the time sychronization to earlier in the evening, the terminal servers were not advancing a day and then retreating. The JDE security files that are written to the C: drive are updated frequently. If the date moves back a day, you get the error message.

Try this science expiriment: Mess with the time by hours, minutes or seconds. There will be no effect on JDE. Move the terminal server forward by a day, Log in, then move it back. Blamo, error message.

Crude, but effective, security of JDE's intellectual property.

Hi List,
Form Design Aid is not working for some of our installations. RDA and
the rest work fine. It gives a message saying that the user is not
authorized to develop on the Windows Terminal Server. Anyone facing the
same problem.

Richard
(Win2k Advanced Server, Xe, Oracle 8i)

Back