From B733.2 to where ? Xe or ERP 8

panobois

Hi everybody,

My question is quite simple:

We have to upgrade very soon from B733.2 to a newer version: Xe or ERP 8 (because maintenance on Cum 2 will stop). We are not interested by the new things in JDEdwards 5, we just want a stable environment.
What are you experiences ? What do you suggest ?

Currently, on NT4.0, SQL 7.0, OW B7332/SP17.1.

XE B7333 SP14 with update 1 seems to be stable when we were on it although there were issues with the application. We do not have lots of user override problems.

We are now on XE SP18 with update 1 in Production and update 4 with a baseline ESU 16881 in Development. SP18 with update 4 in our development environment seems to work fine so far but it is still under heavy testing.

So far the update 4 with SP 18 passed our tests. Cum 4 corrected the application problem addressed in the previous updates and SP 18 fixed some system level issues from previous SP. However, the user overrides issues increased a little bit more than SP14.

The latest update and service pack supposed to take care the issues but that does not guarantee other thing will always work.

I heard other combination of Update and SP will cause problems and so far we like SP18 and Update 4 with the baseline ESU 16881.

Panobois :

I recommend you Xe.

Sebastián Sajaroff
B7321 to ERP8, NT/W2K/SQL, Citrix

You should probably consider ERP 8 because it gets you up to date to the latest version (B7334). There is really very little difference between Xe and ERP 8 - though I must admit currently most users are running Xe these days.

It is absolutely recommended to get off B7332 so you can get with OMW and a lot of very cool additions that will make your environment stable.

I would always jump 2 versions - but never 1.

From JDE:
"ERP 8.0 incorporates architectural improvements that make it simpler to implement, more user-friendly, and easier to manage, scale, and upgrade. For users, ERP 8.0 delivers major new functionality in Enterprise Asset Management, Workforce Management, Project Management and Real Estate Management. " To see all of the news release: http://www.jdedwards.com/public/0,1413,0%7E2216%7E5987%7E,00.html

This means if you need the additional functionality in particular modules provided by ERP 8, then get it. If not, Xe does the job.

My understanding is that ERP 9 is the next major release and you can get there from either ERP 8 or from Xe. There may also be something about co-existence, or is that ending with ERP 9 ??

Re: RE: From B733.2 to where ? Xe or ERP 8

Why what ? Why get off B7332 ?

Because you have stability issues ! You mentioned it yourself !!!

Why ERP8.0 over Xe ? Theres not really much of a reason outside of HR - its really the same codeset for most of the transactions. B7334 is two versions above B7332 - thats all. I would never recommend B7333 (Xe) to B7334 - but then again, I'd recommend thinking long and hard about going from B7332 to B7333 as well - going to B7334 just makes a little more sense as far as where B9 is coming along (according to JDE you need to be on ERP8.0 to upgrade to B9) - but thats probably marketing sham.

Re: RE: From B733.2 to where ? Xe or ERP 8

All major releases of OneWorld are backwards upgradable to the two
previous releases...ERP 9.0 will directly upgrade from ERP 8.0 AND XE.

Coexistence will not be possible nor will ever again be supported from
ERP 9.0 on.

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 07:16:52 -0800 (PST) rekblad <[email protected]>
writes:
"ERP 8.0 incorporates architectural improvements that make

This

My

Another thing to consider is regardless of which upgrade you choose, SQL
7.0 support is going to end soon as well...not only from a JDE
perspective, but from MS as well.

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 02:45:43 -0800 (PST) panobois <[email protected]>
writes:

My question is quite simple:

We have to upgrade very
What are

Currently, on NT4.0, SQL

This is a good point for B9 onwards - however, do you really believe this ?

OneWorld "Co-Existence" really has not been fully supported now for some time with Xe - at least in the "traditional" method of single database, 2 different logic access methods - (RPG World/C OneWorld) - and they have been pushing more and more toward an XPi model from what I believe.

Now, I know that there are many sceptics out there - but the architecture idea is a very solid one - if they can create middleware to take transactions fluidly between a seperate World implementation and synchronize it with OneWorld (as with OneWorld to any other 3rd party product) - then in effect, "co-existence" is maintained as long as all transactions are mirrored.

This would therefore be the method that could be used to "co-exist" between World, OneWorld and B9 - transactions flow between all 3 software types asynchronously.

Of course, meeting the idea with reality is all another matter - but if JDE could actually spend the time and develop XPi to reliably work in this way, then "upgrading" would be extremely easy !!!

Anyone has always had the ability to interface OneWorld with any other
system if they wish to spend the time and money, and yes, I agree, you
could certainly interface ERP 9.0 to and existing World
installation....but,

my point is simply...support for co-existence from JDE ends, period, with
ERP 9.0. In fact, the ERP 9.0 installation process will break any
existing co-existence links from what I hear. Add that to a truely
unicode based DB architecture, and I'd think that attempting to "cowboy",
or "cowperson" to be politically correct, a solution to bypass the
restriction of co-existence support would be a project that only a
company that has money to throw at a project would spend...like say
Microsoft (hey, I do have dreams!!)

But hey, if you've had luck in getting support from Denver when calling
with problems with your custom OneWorld interfaces to other applications,
please do let me know what the phone number is you're using!! That would
be a wonderful reason to be thankful!!! ;)

Happy Turkey day...

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 19:47:59 -0800 (PST) altquark <[email protected]>
writes:

OneWorld "Co-Existence" really has not been fully supported

Now, I know that there are many sceptics

This would therefore be the method that could be used to

Of course, meeting the

I haven't needed to call JD Edwards responseless line for more than a year now - well at least they haven't helped on a single call, no matter how minor, for ablout 12 months. If I ever call JDE - its because I need an update or an authorization code.

Of course, most issues I come across I usually fix myself these days, Xe is definitely a lot more stable - but sometimes you have to create workarounds to get over those fundamental go-live issues.

I know I'm not the only one who uses JDE as a last resort...

Even if you come up with your own solution and didn't go through response
line, you can still submit your issue and workaround so that they can
post it on the KG. That would aid the rest of us who search the KG when
issues arise. I've often submitted the issue and resolution
electronically, then the RL will post it as a closed issue, though the
solution is available to those searching. Plus, if JDE isn't aware of an
issue, they certainly can't fix it in future updates/releases.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong....

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002 09:37:34 -0800 (PST) altquark <[email protected]>
writes:

Of course, most

I know

Back