OneWorld Licensing

timallen

timallen

Well Known Member
We have a client who bought a 10 nominal licenses for OneWorld (I'm not sure "nominal" is what they call it in English: the Spanish contract reads "licencias nominales"). The contract person from JDE told our contract person that this meant that there could be up to 10 user names, and that as many users as they wanted could connect using the same name.

After installing OneWorld on several client machines, I opened up the "License Usage Application" (P98538), and saw that total seats was at 17 (a number which appears nowhere in the contract), and that every workstation I had installed was using one of these 17 seats.

My question is, when we use all 17 seats, does that mean we can install no more clients? Is there some place in OneWorld that I need to modify to tell it that we are using nominal licensing as opposed to by-seat licensing?

Thanks in advance.

Tim :

One installed PC client = One JDE license.
The rest 'nominal licenses', 'interactive licenses', 'batch licenses', 'seat
clients' or
'standing clients', etc... is just a bunch of fancy words.
I don't know how does JDE calculate the actual number of licenses from all
these fantasy concepts of 'nominal licenses' ,'interactive seats' and so on.
You can't modify that limit unless you call your JDE commercial
representative and that
officer authorizes that, then you've got to relicense your Deployment
(P98SRV application).

Sebastian

Hi Tim,

you get some more licences from JDE for any resaon. You can install the some number of WS as you got licenses. In your case, you can install 17 WS. When you install a client on a terminal-server, it´s 1 license from technical point. There is no way to change the number of licences then to ask JDE for a new SPC.
regards

Herbert

I think they use a formula to calculate # of seats you get when you have negotiated licenses using a different term.

For example, if you negotiate ten "nominal" licenses you would get 17 seats. Because "seats" is the measure that ERP uses, everything else must be backed into this measurement using some sort of formula. Another example: If you want 50 concurrent users, JDE may grant you 65 seats or so based on what the formula says to grant.

With such a low number of seats you are going to have to familiarize yourself with the document explaining how to reset licenses because every time you remove/replace someone's PC that uses OneWorld you will need to recover that license. Some others on the board here will be able to tell you if uninstalling OneWorld will give back a license.

Re: RE: OneWorld Licensing

Argg. I can hear my sales people yowling about this one. Apparently an over-enthusiatic JDE salesperson told *our* suits that we could sell a customer nominal licenses, then install, install, install without fear of running out of licenses. Oh well, I'm just another innocent techy ;) . Guess I'll be doing a WTS installation soon...

Thanks for the information.

Re: RE: OneWorld Licensing

Tim

The "magic ratio" of concurrent user licenses to PC installs = .6 (Concurrent user licenses / .6 = No. of installs.) rounded up.

So if you have a 10 concurrent user licenses, you are allowed to install the software on 17 physical PCs.

Patty

Yes. If you uninstall OneWorld - it rights back a license to the JDEAUTH.DDB on the Deployment server.

So the Rep was partly right when he told your executives that you could install forever without running out of licenses....he just forgot to tell them that you had to UNINSTALL between each install !!!

If you really have more than 10 concurrent users, then you really should purchase more licenses. I'm surprised that your rep didn't try and sell more - but then again, this sounds like a "genesis" installation - so budget is low....

You'll find a lot of benefit to implementing a WTS anyway - including ability to get into Oneworld across the internet or whatever. A dual processor machine with 2Gb RAM should easily support 30+ users.

Jon Steel
erpSOURCING LLC
http://www.erpsourcing.com

Back