JDE.INI and Citrix

pianosynth

Reputable Poster
I am trying test the installation of a new Citrix farm which will replace the old farm. I don't completely understand the mechanism whereby JDE initiates the replacement of the JDE.INI. It will be necessary for everyone to get a new INI because JDE is installed on drive D on the old farm and drive C on the new farm and the installation path is a setting in the JDE.INI. My observations so far: a new Full package always prompts for INI replacement when logging in the first time after a Full deployment. There is a switch during and Update build that allows for replacing the INI. I tried an Update package (include only 1 object) with this switch turned on to replace the INI, deployed it to the new farm ONLY and the first login attempt worked in forcing the new INI. I deleted my INI, logged into the old Citrix farm, received the old INI then tried logging into the new farm, but didn't get the new INI. Is there a table entry somewhere that keeps track of the fact that I was forced to get the new INI the very first time I tested this? I then published the new farm for one of our developers and had him login, but he didn't get a new INI. I'm very puzzled by this. Of course, I can build a full package, install it only on the new farm and turn off the old farm over the weekend, but I don't fully understand why my developer didn't get the new INI. Can someone shed some light on exactly how this process works?

When you install Citrix it installs as any other JDE fat client. The INI comes for the OW client install Misc directory. Now before you can get a new INI you first wil have to delete the old one not from the server but rather from the user profiles folder, then the next tiem they login they will get the new one.

Hope this help some.

Here's how it works:

The OneWorld Master jde.ini resides on the Deployment Server in the \OneWorld Client Install\MISC directory.

On install to the Terminal Server, that jde.ini is copied to the c:\winnt (wtsrv for NT4) directory.

When a user initially signs on to OneWorld this jde.ini is copied to their c:\documents and settings\username\windows directory.

When a new full package is deployed to the Terminal Server the Master jde.ini is copied again from the Deployment Server to c:\winnt

When a user signs on to OneWorld after a full package has been deployed the following happens: (this is the important part)

If the jde.ini in c:\documents and settings\username\windows directory is older than the jde.ini in c:\winnt (and it will be), the jde.ini in c:\documents and settings\username\windows will be replaced by the jde.ini in c:\winnt.

The timestamp comparison is done at the registry level.

If you wish to not have the user jde.ini's replaced, you must change the timestamp of the jde.ini in c:\documents and settings\username\windows so that it is newer than the date/time of the deployment. This must be done after the full package deployment but prior to anyone signing on to OneWorld.

The simplest way of accomplishing this is to write a VB program that utilizes the 'touch' utility (found in NT resource kit) to change the timestamp on all jde.ini file in c:\documents and settings

Thanks, Brother of Karamazov, that's exactly the piece of the puzzle I was missing. I now remember this being covered in the CNC class, but I've slept since then...

Question regarding the JDE.INI - We want to keep each Citrix user's jde.log and jdedebug.log in their 'documents and setting/user profile/winnt' directory but don't know how how the jobfile and debugfile parameters in the JDE.INI should look like? Right now, the JDE.INI that is copied to each users profile just says c:/WINNT so everyone's log overwrites each others. Can someone tell me what the parameters are supposed to look like for the INI file that gets copied? Thanks!

In the jde.ini in c:\winnt you must set WTSLogs=TRUE

Once this jde.ini is distributed to the users the DebugFile=c:\jdedebug.log and
JobFile=c:\jde.log will be changed to their documents and settings directory. WTSLogs will be changed to false in the C:\documents and settings\username\windows directory but don't let that throw you.

Oh yeah, if you set WTSLogs=TRUE in the Master jde.ini on the Deployment Server in \OneWorld Client Install\MISC it should always go to the users that way.

Try using in the INI, under
[NETWORK QUEUE SETTINGS]
UBEQueue=QSMAMT
UBEPriority=5
PrintImmediate=FALSE
SaveOutput=TRUE
InstallSpecs=Y
JDENETTimeout=180
;OutputDirectory=H:\ **This setting will tell JDE where to put a unique
print queue folder, we have found that it also directs your ini and log
files here. For us, the H: is actually the users WTS home directory.

Diane Look at document ott-00-0041. How to turn on Citrix logs is in
there. You will have to add the setting every time you update Citrix
with a package. Also every person must have their own ID. If you use
the Annon users the loghs will always be overwritten.

Pete

Question regarding the JDE.INI - We want to keep each Citrix user's
jde.log and jdedebug.log in their 'documents and setting/user
profile/winnt' directory but don't know how how the jobfile and
debugfile parameters in the JDE.INI should look like? Right now, the
JDE.INI that is copied to each users profile just says c:/WINNT so
everyone's log overwrites each others. Can someone tell me what the
parameters are supposed to look like for the INI file that gets copied?
Thanks!
Diane R. Miller
OneWorld Xe, Update 6, Service Pack 20 w/20_D1 one-off
Enterprise Server-AS/400
Deployment Server-NT using SQL 7.0
--------------------------
To view this thread, go to:
http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=45067

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+
This is the JDEList One World« / XE mailing list/forum.
Archives and information on how to SUBSCRIBE, and
UNSUBSCRIBE can be found on the JDEList Forum at
http://www.JDEList.com

JDEList is not affiliated with JDEdwards«

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+

Back