Dude! I'm getting a new DS!!

DRezanka

DRezanka

Reputable Poster
Dude! I\'m getting a new DS!!

And it would be great if all yoos CNC'ers could buzz in and tell me what you would consider to be a high end Deployment Server. I don't come from a networking background and am trying to make a educated decision on what model to buy.

I've been told a dual processor / 2GB ram (2x2) machine would be all I need for the next 3 years (lease). And that the pkg bld processes would barely make use of a second processor. Would you agree or should I go higher? If higher, would you go 2x6 or 4x4?

Also, we plan to rack mount this server and use a SAN for disk. And forseeable issues here?

Thanx much
Doug

Re: Dude! I\'m getting a new DS!!

Doug, we're just upgrading to XE SP20 ourselves and have been advised to get a dual PIII.

RE: Dude! I\'m getting a new DS!!

You are going down the right thought process.

We have a Compaq ML530 2 Processor + 2 GB RAM

With 70 Gb HDD Capacity. (made up of 18 GB HDD)

One modification is to use Windows 2000 Folders to layout different
Pathcodes on to different disks, this has given greater performance.

e.g. d:/jdedwardsoneworld/b7333 Disk 1
d:/jdedwardsoneworld/b7333 Disk 2
d:/jdedwardsoneworld/b7333/DV7333 Disk 3
d:/jdedwardsoneworld/b7333/PY7333 Disk 4
d:/jdedwardsoneworld/b7333/PD7333 Disk 5

This allows for growth and gives us 18 GB per Pathcode to play with
(loads of Update packages)

Hope this gives you some ideas

Regards

Spencer Johnson

RE: Dude! I\'m getting a new DS!!

Hi Doug :

It's right that 2 CPU * 2 Gb RAM is enough for a Deployment, your second
processor won't be much used unless you install Central Objects on that same
box. Finally, I would prefer local disks for Deployment.

Sebastian Sajaroff

Doug,

Regarding the need for a second processor, I will be glad to share our experience with building full packages. We recently updated to SP20, and so did 4 full package builds. I monitored CPU usage during the builds, and for at least half of the package build time (total build time was 10.75 hrs), the CPU usage on each of our dual 450 Pentium processors was in the 50-60% range. During the beginning of the package build, the process does both spec processing and program compiles, so there's PLENTY of work to go around. Beyond two processors, I can't comment, but would be interested in others' experiences. Good luck on your new DS -- we've likely got a year or two to wait for our next one!

Hi Doug,
Liked your "Hey Dude" line ! Hope all is keeping you well.
We are using dual XEON 700's with 3 Gig of memory. Don't get less if you will be keeping this box for three years !!
A full package build runs in about 8 hours. If I was buying today I will look at dual 1200 XEONs with 4 gig.
Regards,
Dave

Re: RE: Dude! I\'m getting a new DS!!

Hey, Sebastian, how are things in Lima? We are preparing to install our new DS using about 50 GB of SAN space for the JDE installation. Would you elaborate on your comment of preferring local drives? On what do you base this preference? TIA.

Back