OneWorld-TerminalServer

nnegron

Is Terminal Server used only for remote sessions? What about local clients? What is the most common WorkStation type using W2K Server as the Deployment Server and AS400 as the Data Server?
Can anyone point me to the best link that lays out the a typical connection from client to Data Server?
Thanks for your help.

I don't know about anyone else, but here's what we have...

We've got a WinNT Deployment Server (soon to be W2K), 2 Citrix servers (load balanced), an AS/400 enterprise server, and two or three fat clients.

Most of our users are using PC's or thin clients and are accessing OneWorld (as well as other apps such as Lotus Notes, Word, Excel, etc) via the Citrix clients. I've got a fat client (being the sys admin). We also have a "community" fat client that our users use for report development, and our consultants use for app development. We will be installing a fat client for two of our "critical" users (one in customer service and one in accounting) for when we have problems with Citrix (rarely, but we do run into some hiccups at times.)

I'd have to say that we've got about 20-25 users using the Citrix boxes altogether right now, and will be adding more users next year, as we bring up more OneWorld modules (maintenance crib inventory and work orders are currently done in World) next year.

I hope this little bit of info helps.

Thanks very much for your input.
Are your users remote or local? The reason I ask is, if we use Solutions or OneWorld Explorer do we need Terminal Server?
Thanks
Neftali

Both... we've got both remote and local users using OneWorld and the Citrix boxes.

No matter what you use for Deployment server and Enterprise server, you need to have a client for users. There are three clients: Fat Client, Thin Client (or Terminal Server) or Web client. Using all Fat Clients is difficult to support as you have to load Fat Clients every time you build a new full package. Thin Client is the current standard for clients, better for support, but not always better for the client, as some functions require a fat client. The Web client isnt' quite there yet, but should be in the next service pack or two.

Solutions Explorer and OneWorld Explorer are only the interface to OneWorld, they work on both Fat clients and Terminal Server.

Back