new environment

libbi_fletcher

Well Known Member
I would like to set up a new DEV environment. I have a DV7333 right now,
but it is 19.1 for our JAS server environment that we are testing right now.
But I need ANOTHER DEV environment for another project that I can promote
into PY and into PD eventually. Can someone please tell me the easiest,
most painless way to do this and any gotchas to watch out for? Thanx.

XE U3 17.1 AS400 NT W2K Citrix XP and Fat

Libbi Fletcher
HoMedics, Inc.
M.I.S. Department
248-863-3001 ext. 1281
[email protected]

Libbi,

You can continue to use the DV7333 pathcode/environment that you currently
have. The Foundation (System Directory) is what is at 19.1, not the
PathCode.

Andy

Consultant with clients
at B7331 - Xe
Various Deployment Servers, Citrix and JAS

Big heads up - JDEdwards do not allow environment names that begin with "J" or "W" as these are reserved for the Windows Terminal Server & JAS environments.

What you do depends on the degree of separation you require between your two 'development' environments.

My first thought in order to simplify using OMW for promotion and maintain the ease of applying new ESUs is not to tamper with the DV7333 pathcode. If you can create additional data sources which point to a new environment which shares the DV7333 pathcode with the DV7333 environment you can save yourself a lot of trouble and still have a separate space for developers to run special projects. Even then if you do apply ESUs any table conversions will need to be run an additional time pointing to the data sources of the new DV7333 pathcode-based environment.

How about impressing management with the idea of running their projects sequentially instead of in parallel as an alternate strategy? They must know that there is always a cost for doubling up. Maybe you can help them to better understand what the costs are