Re: SP20 and Batch Version

Hi Everyone,
I would like to ask a question regarding Batch Version. To my
knowledge, one can make design level changes, event rule changes in a batch
version using override version feature of OneWorld Report toolset. Someone
is telling us that you can only make a data sequence or data selection
changes in a version, as a change in RDA will cause problem. Is it

We are standardizing on making only the changes you have mentioned, but there is no requirement withing JDE that you limit yourself to those changes. From what I have seen ,though, it is much easier to maintain if you only change data selection in your versions. Code changes and changes to the report fields can wind up radically deviating from the base UBE. If you later have need to modify the base UBE, those changes do not get propogated to the versions. You could wind up having to apply the same mods several times first to the template then to each version. It just seems easier to maintain if you create a new UBE instead of heavily modifying the versions. My two cents...

I agree with you PianoSynth . . .

No offense anyone, but I always thought people were nuts to make code changes to specific versions of a UBE. When you have to apply a ESU or Update, how many versions of one object do you have to deal with in reapplying your customizations to? Even making changes to the report layout in a version is a very "iffy" thing requiring unwarranted trust in the spec merge process.

My 1 cent worth of an opinion.

First, I would have to agree with the previous posts on recommending version changes be limited to processing option, data selection, and data sequencing for ease of maintenance.

But, should you have a compelling reason for changing the design of a version, it is possible. Here are a couple of things/options to keep in mind:

1 - Ensure you and the developer understand the relationship between a UBE (template) and a version. A version is NOT a copy of the template with additional information. Instead, when you run a batch version, OW reads the batch version record (F983051) to get processing option information and find out what template to use. OW then reads the version specs to establish "overriden" design to the template. Here is where it picks up data selection and sequencing, as well as any additional version design. After that, it reads the template specs to create the entire batch application. It's a little confusing, but...

2 - When you go into design on a version, you will select to "override" a certain portion of the design. For example, section layout. If you override the section layout, then during runtime, OW will read the design specs from the version for this part of the report. Normally, this part of the report would come from the template specs.

3 - If you have designed at the version level, then design at the template level. You may have to repeat your changes in the version as well...if you have overriden the piece you made changes to in the template.

As you can see, it is possible, but very difficult to manage. Good Luck.

Back