Cumulative Package Strategy

Joseph_Sadler

Joseph_Sadler

Well Known Member
Hi All.

We have recently developed problems with package deployment,
and are now trying to determine if our method is incorrect.

Although the JDE OW Package Management manual states,

" Recommendations for Sites Using Full Packages without JITI

J.D. Edwards recommends that you adopt a cumulative update package
strategy. Each week that you need to deploy a change, add that object to
the existing update package, and then rebuild and schedule it. "

Denver tells us that we are the only enterprise that is doing it this way.

Please reply:
Who uses the "Cumulative Package" strategy,
and who uses the "Noncumulative" method?
( The results should prove interesting.)

Thanks in advance.
Joseph.

We are currently doing non-cumulative. It proved to be too time consuming
to always rebuild a cumulative package.

Re: RE: Cumulative Package Strategy

Joseph,

you don't state your environment info so you're missing out on replies from people with a similiar environment but ...

Assuming you're at least B733.1 SP7.1, and that you are not using partial packages (although partials may work - we just haven't tried them), there is no reason to perform the cumulative update. This is because net change update packages will update their parent 'full' packages each time they are built. So if you need to install OW on a new workstation you don't have to install every little update following the full package install - the full package includes all the little updates since.

This is my understanding of the process. I am not the administrator here who handles packages builds but I believe she (and others on the list?) can confirm this.

Cheers,

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld B733.1, SP 11.3
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6

Joseph,
As Larry, I amn't also an administrator but I have asked our guys.
They said, that our experiences (on B7332) is making full package for base client install after that update packages to deploy developments/custom mods to the clients. After a time, we refresh (re-build) the full package to include all devs and mods.
(If I am right, omly full package exist for server.)

My last coin and maybe the most worth is that put your issue onto the OnWorld / XE Forum to. If I am right, there are much more administrator and technical guy.

Good luck,
&
Merry Christmas

Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Joseph,
As I see, the only advantage of the update package that you don't have to uninstall OW on the workstation before you install it.
By my experiences, to uninstall OW (this time XE) is very time consumming (almost as long as to install) and intalling update package (XE again) is almost as long as a full package.

Really could be useful to describe your system. This time OW version and client type could be very important informations.
If you put your issue onto the other Forum as I suggested, then do not forget about your system configuration information.

At last, let me a question.
Do you grant administrator rights to the user for their workstations.
If you do not then how do you accomplish the frequent workstation installs?

Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Back