SP20 JDEDEBUG.LOG

dhelsley

Well Known Member
We just installed SP20. Now we are unable to delete the jdedebug.log file while OneWorld is running. It is like OneWorld now opens and locks the file until it exits.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Would someone else with SP20 mind verifying it for me?

HPUX, Oracle 8.1.7,Xe base with SP20, fat client.

Thanks.

I always thought that you couldn't delete the jdedebug.log while OW is open. To get around that, I always opened the jdedebug.log and deleted everything right before performing the action I wanted to capture in the log.

We were always able to do it. Somewhere between 17.1 (where we were) and 20.0 we lost the ability.

Alex Pashtuhov in Australia has written an OWDebugLogCommander and made it available for download from his web site. It works great! It allows you to turn on the debugger just before the event you are wanting to capture and turn it off immediately after, so you only need to sort through the log for the problem event. Search the list to find his web site or maybe somebody else could provide the web link, I didn't keep it.

I have applied everything from SP17.1 up to SP20. It was definitely SP20 where we lost the ability to delete/modify the JDEDEBUG.LOG file while OEXPLORE was running.

Too bad ... now I have to note the time of the last entry and modify the file after the fact, rather than deleting the file and continuing with the process producing the errors.

It will let you overwrite itself, ie you can clear the contents of the file
and then save it, most of the time.....
It is still a pain though, maybe you should look at a unix tool called tail?
Regards
Kieran Fitzgerald

! It was definitely

Has anybody checked with JDEdwards if this is on purpose or just one of
these undocumented features? Will we get it back? Is it

You might consider using the DebugLogCommander (downloadable from the
jdelist.com website) to turn of debugging while in OEXPLORE.EXE. This
would allow you to delete the debug log. Then turn it back on to continue
logging.

FWIW.

Thanks,
James A. Wilson
JDE CNC Consultant

Some of the users of the Commander might have noticed that the feature I have implemented in the v.6 of the OWDebugLogCommander to truncate the jdedebug.log file wouldn't work under WinXP.

I found that it was caused by a bug in WinXP and has been resolved in SP1 for XP...

You can download the latest version from:
http://members.optushome.com.au/apastuhov/Downloads.htm

Regards,
Alex.

Back