Antivirus on terminal servers

• Thread starter SimonLockington
  • Start date

SimonLockington

Hi everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone uses Antivirus software on their Terminal Servers, and if so, what are your thoughts on this?

Seems like Norton Corporate edition 7.6 runs on Terminal Server, just wanted to hear what you guys are doing.

Simon Lockington
OW XE 17.1
Win2K/SQL 2K - Citrix XP

I actually started with Norton Corporate Edition 7.0 in our network including Termial. Its upgraded to 7.6. We had few issues (not relating to OW) with earlier release like 7.0 but they seem to have fixed those in 7.5 and 7.6. Live update is little shakky.

Hey but no problems of Norton with Citrix with XE

XE (SP 16), Windows 2000, Citrix, Sql 7.0

__Ather Iqbal, PSI, [email protected]

We are using Mafee antivirus software on Citrix. No problem until now. But reminded to turn it off during package install. ;-)

Ditto on using McAfee NetShield 4.5. No problems so far, other than slight slowness during logon (extra 2-3 seconds), and remembering to disable it during package install.

Antivirus software on Terminal Servers in general is a bad idea. Not only does it take up additional resources on the server, but it slows down each connection that is made to the TSE. Each client session spawns another instance of the virus scan program. Ours is McAfee. What we have done is we have mapped a drive to our TSEs on a different box and once a week we scan the drives remotely. Also, depending on how you have your terminal servers setup, the risk for a virus to infect a TSE is minimal.

I hope this helps.

Back