Express input for security workbench

hkdba

Hi list,

Other than using the security workbench, is there any ways to input data for the JDE security? Can I use something like Access to open the F00950 into Excel format and input data from there?

AIX Xe SP20, Oracle 8.1.7.4
Citrix NT

Of course you can!

However just as with any direct data manipulation you must be sure that you are putting in the information the way the native OneWorld applications would. I have generated security directly a number of times and have been quite happy.

Regards,

One way is to used linked tables in Access, another is SQL DTS. If it is data then it is by nature portable. Watch out for the date fields though, they are a pain.

Hi Alvin,

As Brother of Kara mentioned you could use an Access and the attached table feature to manipulate the F00950. SQL Server's DTS (Data Transformation Services) is also an option. Pretty much any direct ODBC tool would do the trick. I guess it depends on what you like working with.

The comment about Data Fields is important. You will need to enter any dates using the JDE Julian Date Format.

I guess my first question is - what format do you currently have the information in? Have you been building your security in Excel? If so, I would finalise your settings and then import the Excel worksheet into Access and then work with an attached table. For safety I would tend to work with a copy of the F00950 until I was happy with the data. I would then copy my working table into the live database. Of course I would only do this with users out of the system and with a fresh database backup!

Regards,

Also, There is a 3rd party application which you can buy which makes security simple - I dont know what it is - thats what I am looking for.

While I am here - if you do want to go through the route of doing it in excel - here is a formula to convert regular dates to Julian dates:
=IF(TEXT(J2,"yy")<"50","1"&TEXT(J2,"YY"),"0"&TEXT(J2,"YY"))&TEXT((J2-DATEVALUE("1/1/"&TEXT(J2,"yy"))+1),"000")

just replace "J2" with whatever cell your regular date is in.

Back