Accepting packages

tgore

tgore

Reputable Poster
I have just finished creating a full package for DV7333. I deployed it to all of my FAT clients. What kind of problems, if/any could I run into if some of the FAT clients have not yet accepted the package and I deploy an update package to DV7333. That would mean that they have a Full package and an update package waiting. I flag all packages as mandatory.

Thanks,

If someone takes the packages and has 2 waiting there, it will install from
the bottom up so the update would get installed first and then the full
package. That will in essence wipe out your update package. JDE knows
about this reverse order installation but hasn't done anything about it.
They don't consider it a problem. They say you just need to manually manage
the updates or compress your full package to include the update.

Thanks,

"If someone takes the packages and has 2 waiting there, it will install from the bottom up so the update would get installed first and then the full package. "

Just to clarify - by "bottom up" do you mean the last package in the list followed by the next last and so on ?

Thanks. I was not aware of the reverse order issue. That brings up another couple of questions. If I were to change the packages to "not mandatory". Would the clients have to accept each package separatly? If they selected them all can they specify the order?

If I were you, every time I built an update package I would recompress the parent package so that the changes were included in the full package. Also, were you aware that you can check the status (who's taken it) in package the deployment application?

Brother-of-kara -- Thanks. I do reompress after *every* update. I was also aware of being able to view the status. How does viewing the status effect the order in which the pacges are accepted?

Last in First Out basically. It starts at the bottom and then works up. You would think most of the time you would want it the other way around but it doesn't work that way.

If they are optional, then each package would have to be selected to install. Order can not be specified. Now if the user selects the first one and then installs and then selects the next one when they sign back in, it would work but that's asking a lot from some users. If they decide to select them all, then you are back with the same problem you have if they are all mandatory. It installs from the bottom up.

I am not dealing with users. I am dealing with a very small group of developers (for now). I'll just walk around with a really big stick. I will also let them know they are in charge of their own destiny.

It does not affect the order but it certainly lets you know who to beat on when they haven't taken a package :)

It sounds like you need to establish a package schedule. Something like, full builds occur every Saturday and they are mandatory. Updates only occur with the approval of the PHB-types, and it better be important. I have seen many systems get totally out of control when developers think that their latest "gem" of an "improvement" is so important that everyone needs it now.

One of the hallmarks of a successful OW implementation is how well the developers are controlled.

Sounds good in theory. We are in the middle of a BIG development project. Everything we are writing is custom. I am deploying packages to DV & PY nightly. Nothing is in production yet. We will be "going live" the end of November (pushed back twice already).

Once we are in production I am going to try to set up a "REAL" schedule and hope I can get everybody to obey the rules.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I have gained a lot of insight into the "inner workings" of OW.

Back