XPI and Coexistence

aimeeb

Hi list

I have been asked by a client to provide a list of pros and cons of XPI against Coexistence. There used to be a series of great papers on the KG comparing direct migration, coexistence and XPI. These however seem to have disappeared.

Has anyone else looked at a comparison of XPI and Coexistence, or have experience of both? Have you any documentation this confused person could look at? Any help would be graetly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Rob Boden

CNC Analyst
OneWorld B73.3.2 & Xe
Enterprise Server SQL 7.0
Windows NT 4.0 sp6a

I believe that using XPI for migration is only theory right now.

Does anyone know of anyone who has tried it, or is even thinking about
it?

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: XPI and Coexistence
Author: [email protected] at INTERNET
Date: 5/25/01 10:48 AM

Hi list

I have been asked by a client to provide a list of pros and cons of XPI against
Coexistence. There used to be a series of great papers on the KG comparing direc
t migration, coexistence and XPI. These however seem to have disappeared.

Has anyone else looked at a comparison of XPI and Coexistence, or have experienc
e of both? Have you any documentation this confused person could look at? Any he
lp would be graetly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Rob Boden

CNC Analyst
OneWorld B73.3.2 & Xe
Enterprise Server SQL 7.0
Windows NT 4.0 sp6a

--------------------------
Visit the forum to view this thread at:
http://198.144.193.139/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=11651

I think part of the problem might be the functionality of XPI and how it's
positioned by JDE. At first it seemed to be being pushed as a panacea for
desperate releases of W and OW, but now it seems more targeted at
heterogenous online environments.

With JDE's guidance, we are planning a route that will basically lead to
data sharing between W & OW - some files (mainly the ones that haven't
changed that much) will be updated by both - others will be copied and
become completely separate.

For us it's easier, since we have never done "real" coexistence. OneWorld
is only A/R, which is incompatible with World A/R anyway.

Unless you are using the same applications in both W & OW, I think you'll
find this might be the best approach.

The key things that I believe you should be concerned with in deciding between XPI and coexistence are cost and requirements. If your customer is going to use World for the foreseeable future then they will be better off planning to use XPI because XE will be the last OneWorld release to support coexistence. If your client is interested in only using world during their migration to OneWorld phase and don’t have business needs that require World beyond the XE release then the additional cost of XPI may not be justifiable to link World and OneWorld for a short time. In short XPI is the JDE vision of the future and coexistence is the vision of now and the past. I would also say that while XPI is a fabulous tool, I think that most customers would find its current stage of development a bit bleeding edge.

Hope this helps.

I don’t think I have any of the documents you are looking for but if you need more help let me know.

Shane Foster

Back