world writer problem

nnswain

i have created a ww report which writes into a file. after writting 9999 records it is giving error. can anyone help me solving this.thanks in advance

In Additional Parameters do you have Maximum Records to Query set to *NOMAX?

S. E. Tuthill
A73 C11 V5R3

did you validate that your calc/counter field is greater than 4 in length? Meaning - 10K is five long...

(db)

The problem is that the physical file that the WW is generating has (by IBM default) a max allowed records of 10,000 on it. The error you are getting, though, is a soft error and you can allow things to go on by simply typing '9999' at the error message (it says what they all mean, you have a variety of choices). I can't recall if the other suggestion of putting *NOMAX on the # of records actually solves this problem but it can't hurt either!

Create the file using the World Writer then use the Change Save File (CHGSAVF) to change the amount of records the file can receive.

Example:

CHGSAVF FILE(ONLINE) MAXRCDS(20000)

Try looking at the CRTPF command. From a command line do CRTPF and then
F4, for the file name type TEMP and then press F10. Page down until you
see the Initial number of records, if this it a small number like 100o
or 10000, try changing the command default to be 250,000 and increment
25000 and maximum increments 3.
We have users creating files all of the time here and with over 100,000
records in them. We changed our CRTPF defaults and we have not had any
problems since.

Delete the file you have already created and then run your WW again.

Jim Rubino
Senior Programmer Analyst
FIKE CORPORATION (r)
704 South 10th Street
Blue Springs, Mo. 64015
* Direct Dial - (816) 655-4579
* Or - (816) 229-6216 Ext. 1079
* <mailto:[email protected]> [email protected]
world Software Technical Editor for JDEtips

_____

Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 3:01 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: world writer problem

i have created a ww report which writes into a file. after writting 9999
records it is giving error. can anyone help me solving this.thanks in
advance

_____

The entire <http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=3D&Board=3D>
JDELIST thread is available for viewing.

Looking for a job? Check out the Job
Opportunites
forum=09

This is the JDELIST World Mailing List.
The instructions on how to unsubscribe from any JDELIST mailing list are
available here <http://www.jdelist.com/unsubscr.shtml> .
JDELIST is not affiliated with JDEdwards(r).

[ QUOTE ]
AHarrison wrote:
Create the file using the World Writer then use the Change Save File (CHGSAVF) to change the amount of records the file can receive.

Example:
CHGSAVF FILE(ONLINE) MAXRCDS(20000)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong answer - as Donald Trump would say: You're fired!

The output from WW is a physical file, not a save file...

The correct command would be:
CHGPF FILE(OUTPUTFILE) SIZE(*NOMAX)

So should I be fired?? At least I stimulated you to respond to the thread to help.

Remember if all of us got fired for inaccurate responses to thread there be none of us left, but sometimes, just sometimes we do stimulate other thoughts or ideas!!

[ QUOTE ]
Andrew Harrison wrote:
So should I be fired?? At least I stimulated you to respond to the thread to help.

Remember if all of us got fired for inaccurate responses to thread there be none of us left, but sometimes, just sometimes we do stimulate other thoughts or ideas!!

[/ QUOTE ]

It was meant as a joke, Andrew...don't take yourself (or me) so seriously! I suppose that I should have added an <lol> to my reply..
Regards,

Re: RE: world writer problem

Even though this thread is fairly old (and I contributed to it long ago), I thought I would update the solution to it.

When you are creating a file with World Writer, it executes a CRTPF command and the defaults of that IBM command drives what ends up on the file that is created. In particular the Max # of records it is built for. In many of our cases, it is a pain to have it set to 10,000 records because we do create files bigger that that and we don't want to users having to answer the message to "make it bigger" since they really don't understand what that means. The solution is really simple by changing the command defaults for CRTPF on your system.

The full syntax of this change is:
CHGCMDDFT CMD(CRTPF) NEWDFT('SIZE(100000 1000 3)')

My example is to change the max to 100,000 with increments of 1000 allowed 3 times. If you wanted to change it to *NOMAX it would be:
CHGCMDDFT CMD(CRTPF) NEWDFT('SIZE(*NOMAX *N *N)')

Take your pick. Just be aware that if you change this default and go through a OS upgrade, you will likely loose this change and it goes back to IBM's command defaults. Then just change it again!

Re: RE: world writer problem

Ooopsss.. My original post had you changing the command default for CHGPF (which you can do but won't help). It should be CRTPF. I updated the original post for this corrections.

Back