Work Orders with a Recursive bill of materials

Bisdav01

JDE E1. I need to track cost and production of a single finished good item passed as an end to end process across the three seperate branch/plants and must use the same finished good item number in each plant. First branch plant initiates the process so there is no problem for that branch. The same finshed good item is then passed and used in each plant for specific step in the process. Branch 2 takes the item as a componenet and needs to produce the same item number as a finished good to pass on to branch 3. Branch 3 in turn takes the item as a component and needs to produce the same finished good part number. This process requires a setup of having recursive bill of materials which does not work well with standard JDE since the item is setup as a manufactured end item in each plant. Only solution so far has been to create unique item numbers in each plant and pass that as a purchased item to the next branch to use as a component and repeat the process in the last plant but use the final real finished good item as the parent. This forces a lot of tracking and analysis of several part numbers when it is really the same item being produced in each plant. I am looking for options to allow for a recursive setup so that I can just track the one item as a process start to finish across the three plants. I definately understand that this is not a standard recommended approach for JDE but open to suggestions for alternatives. Thank you!

Recursive bills of material are a no-no. You will have problems with the system maintaining cost levels, and cost roll ups. The enquiry programs for bill of materials will also be a problem. You can issue the material to an order manually and complete the same item on the order eg reworks, but you cannot have a recursive BOM. What about if you have part numbers with a -1, -2 suffix?

Thanks Wayne. Appreciate your feedback and agree with your comments. I am trying some testing now around the suffix part numbers approach. I know the recursive question has been around for many years and the answer has always been no from JDE. Was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this or has come up with any creative solutions over the years that the recursive question has been around.

Ever find a solution for this one? ... we are faced with much the same problem...

Back