Windows nov security updates for Windows Server 2012 R2 broke createform 7.1.4

I saw this type of error on Cform v7.01.400.6119 running on Windows Server 2012 R2. The only way to get the server functional again was to restore from a backup. The Director printers were changed to Local Port NUL today.

I saw this type of error on Cform v7.01.400.6119 running on Windows Server 2012 R2. The only way to get the server functional again was to restore from a backup. The Director printers were changed to Local Port NUL today.

Many thanks for your response

Do you happen to know if there is a newer 7.1 version that isn't affected by this issue?

This change appears to be cause of the issue

"Addresses a security vulnerability by preventing applications that run as a SYSTEM account from printing to local ports that point to a file. Failing print jobs log error 50, “The request is not supported.” in event ID 372 in the PrintService\Admin event log. To address this issue going forward, make sure your applications or services run as a specific user or service account. "

I have Cfservice and CFmessage log on as specific user - this doesn't seems to work.

If anyone has a working solution - I'd appreciate some advise please.

Thanks

We tried the latest patch - still no dice

Error from print spooler
The print spooler failed to load a plug-in module TPVMMon.dll, error code 0x7E. See the event user data for context information.

Download, install and configure Virtual Port Monitor (www.alphatronics.com). It will be another layer of 3rd party software on your CformServer but from what I've seen so far this app resolves the problem with Local Ports not working after the Windows Cumulative update is applied.

Download, install and configure Virtual Port Monitor (www.alphatronics.com). It will be another layer of 3rd party software on your CformServer but from what I've seen so far this app resolves the problem with Local Ports not working after the Windows Cumulative update is applied.

Thanks so much - this worked!

Greetings All,

creatform print server 7.1.4 is unresponsive following installation of these security updates for Windows Server 2012 R2:

KB4586845 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4586845/windows-8-1-update
KB4586823 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4586823/windows-8-1-update

Roll-back of the updates resolved the problem

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?
We were also getting this issue on Create!form 7.0.553 running on Windows 2012 R2.

We didn't have to rollback though, as the below workaround provided by Bottomline technologies worked for us:
  • Open Create! form Server application (must open “As Administrator)
  • Right Click the Director queue, select “Open Printer
  • Select the Printer menu
  • Properties
  • Ports tab
  • Add Port... button
  • Local port option, then click New Port... button
  • For port name type NUL. Please note this is with one L character
  • Click Apply and OK
Jobs will begin processing immediately upon applying the change.

We were also getting this issue on Create!form 7.0.553 running on Windows 2012 R2.

We didn't have to rollback though, as the below workaround provided by Bottomline technologies worked for us:
  • Open Create! form Server application (must open “As Administrator)
  • Right Click the Director queue, select “Open Printer
  • Select the Printer menu
  • Properties
  • Ports tab
  • Add Port... button
  • Local port option, then click New Port... button
  • For port name type NUL. Please note this is with one L character
  • Click Apply and OK
Jobs will begin processing immediately upon applying the change.
Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for sharing this from bottomline

Do you pool all virtual print queues to the same "NUL" printer port?

Thanks again

Last edited:
Hi Wandrews,

We created a couple of variations of NUL NULLLL NULLLLL printer ports so that if one virtual print queue got stuck, we were not blocking the other ones sharing the same NUL Local Port.

See screenshot below showing how we have split our Virtual Print Queues into two local ports, with a spare just in case of emergencies.

1614722625532.png

Hi Wandrews,

We created a couple of variations of NUL NULLLL NULLLLL printer ports so that if one virtual print queue got stuck, we were not blocking the other ones sharing the same NUL Local Port.

See screenshot below showing how we have split our Virtual Print Queues into two local ports, with a spare just in case of emergencies.

View attachment 19082

Thanks Paul - I suppose the CpEmailPort continue to work okay?

Also, are you planning to upgrade to CreateForm 8.0 anytime soon?

Hi Wandrews,

We haven't had any issues with the CpEmailPort, so we haven't changed our EmailQ's to the NUL port.

1615254873058.png

We currently are considering the amount of effort it would take to port across to Transform server. Otherwise we will remain on Create!form version 7 until mid 2023, when Windows 2012 is end of life.

Back