Windows Ent Server Equivalent To startextras.sh

StewartSchatz

StewartSchatz

Well Known Member
On a Linux Enterprise Server you can add a script named startextras.sh that is run each time the managed instance is started from Server Manager.

Is there a Windows Server equivalent?

On a windows server, the Server Manager agent starts the Windows Service. I have been unable to find a location for me to insert a script into the process.

Any insight you might have would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

If the other program(s) you want to start can be started as Windows services, you could try making them dependent on the E1 Enterprise Server service.

Can you share an example of what you want to do in the equivalent of startextras.sh?

Last edited:
On the Linux servers, I cleanup the logs.

find /u01/app/jdedwards/e900/log/* -exec rm {} \;

For something like this, creating/setting up redundant services is an overkill. You are probably better off running a scheduled command or powershell script to delete those logs regularly. Most windows clients use a script to stop/start E1 to do any pre/post startup work. Or, you can use our LynX Monitor product to regularly clean up logs on any server, any OS without any programming :)

I agree -- a Windows service just to delete files is overkill. A scheduled cleanup job (a command file submitted via the Windows Task Scheduler) is what we use on a weekly basis to keep log files from getting out of hand.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I've been using a script to do the log cleanup running on the Windows Task Scheduler. I was just trying to find a way to totally clear them out right before the E1 services are started. I guess it sounds like I'll need to stick to the WTS.

Thanks again!

I was just trying to find a way to totally clear them out right before the E1 services are started. I guess it sounds like I'll need to stick to the WTS.

Another option is to create a script that does exactly what you need to: Stop services, wait for a minute or two, Clean up the logs and start services. You can run the script remotely through WMI, PsExec or a WTS (that is set to run in the past).

The answer to this is a "no". There is no "script" that is run on Windows servers, like the scripts that are run on all Unix platforms, to start services.

The Windows service is a registered executable program. I see what you're trying to achieve with cleaning up the log files upon startup - but it might be overkill to attempt to modify the service startup to delete the logs.

You can set up a batch script on Windows to delete logs that are > 1 day old - and make that a Windows "At" job (similar to Cron in Unix). But it sounds like you're already doing this.

Good luck !

Thanks for the responses everyone. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something and I knew this community would have the answers.

Back