What is the most simple upgrade procedure for JDE 7331 to 9.1?

wck596

I am working on JDE upgrade from 7331 to 9.1. Basically, I plan to upgrade to Xe, Boomerang the customized objects, Install 9.1, import those customized objects to 9.1 and then proceed with the PY and Simulation before go live with opening balance.

Anyone has any other idea to simplify and speed up this procedure.

When you say "customized objects" are you talking net new custom apps written from scratch or modifications to standard JDE apps?

If the latter then I would expect there to be compatibility issues coming all the way from 7331 to 9.1

I agree with Larry and Jim. There is a great deal of difference between 7331 and 9.1. Methods have changed, new functionality added, some Applications, UBEs, business functions and system functions may no longer be used or available. You will need to review each and every customisation to see if it is still needed or if standard 9.1 functionality can be used instead. Those customisations that are still needed, should be reviewed thoroughly, even if it is a "standalone" customisation.

In some ways you may be better off, documenting the 7331 customised functionality and rebuilding it in 9.1, rather than trying to import/migrate 7331 customisations to 9.1.

I agree with Peter...can't tell you the last time I did an upgrade to XE....years and years and years ago...and he's spot on, I don't think you'll get through with just Boomerang and the upgrade process. Too many things are changed and interconnected. I'd certainly recommend looking hard at and redeveloping anything custom, especially customized out of the box code, to 9.1.

This is a HUGE leap. I wish you luck, but I highly doubt you'll get it done just using the E1 upgrade process and Boomerang, without doing custom development....7331 doesn't know what's changed or in XE, 8.0, etc.....

I've done a couple of these recently and all worked well.

I'm totally confused by the overall Boomerang upgrade approach. The tool is great and I recommended it for many things but as an approach to moving objects as part of the initial conversion is not one of those items.

Ya see the upgrade process does this automatically by default. Yes I repeat...it does it automatically and you actually have to override it to stop doing that.

Basically you need an Xe and a 9.1 Deployment Server. I initially do an object and data migration from B733.1 to Xe on the Xe Deployment Server and then do an Upgrade from Xe to 9.1 on the 9.1 Deployment/Enterprise Server.

You only need to do this full process once.

Afterwards it's just data only the remaining times.

Now where does Boomerang fit in? Well you can still use the same process to move individual objects one at a time from B733.1 to 9.1 - perhaps you were still working on some development on B733.1?

You can do 100% of this using JDE tools and doing this once or twice during the project is fine.

Doing it every week is horrible and for that......yep you MUST have Boomerang.

The B733.1 to Xe upgrade doesn't really add that much to the project. Not many changes to the data schema and the only thing really major is OMW (oh that and Payroll, Manufacturing, Distribution and Finance worked on Xe).

So the SIMPLE practice to do the upgrade is just to let the upgrade do what it does naturally.

Colin

I have done one upgrade from B7332 to E810. Where I upgrade the B7332 to XE first (for PY) then continue to upgrade it to E810 (in your case to E910). Then do retrofit on those customized object in PY810 (yours will be PY910).
Then you can have option to perform the upgrade for PD the same way (for data only) or as you mention by using opening balance to implement for PD (a refresh fro PY for all objects after testing in prototype).
Hope this give you some idea.

Back