What add on tools do you use?

morglum666

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I'm always interested to try to understand what other people in my same role use. I work as a dev/admin/application support for a 8.9 JDE installation using oracle.

I am currently using:

* Development

Toad - SQL tool
SelectVar
Maximizer
Pok-A-Tok
Boomerang

* Sys admin/auditing

UTBBrowse

I used to use another third party program (icon was a little oneworld picture from Xe days) but it went from free to several hundred dollars.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you use?

What is UTBBrowse? Is this something different than UTB?

For JDE development I use the following 3rd party tools:
- Visual C++ 2008 Express as an IDE/Debugger
- UltraEdit
- MS SQL Management Studio
- OW/E1 Debug Log Commander from Everest Software
- Beyond Compare
- Sel Var or Variable Selection
(Just recently started using Sel Var thanks to the NER vs C thread... wish I knew about this 5 years ago, probably would have added 3 months to my life expectancy)

grin.gif

I don't use any third party tools, anymore (my partner just kept the ax near my back half - where the wallet is).

Down to using one major tool outside of what comes with E1...
** Aqua Data Browser (4.something - bought when it was affordable).

(db)

Morglum,

My roles are cnc/admin/developer.

I use:

Boomerang (thanks Alex - it's great!)
PL/SQL Developer
All Out Security (only used this when we reconfigured our security to lock out everything, then add back access)
MS Visual C++

Hi,

My roles are cnc admin/installer/upgrader/troubleshooter/
cooker/receptionist and mop guy. Whatever comes around.

Tools I use :

UltraEdit and UltraCompare
Those are great tools for editing and comparing files
(ASCII, Unicode, EBCDIC) with both CR and CR/LF terminators.
UltraCompare is great for comparing JDE.INIs, JAS.INIs, etc
They both cost like 50 USD a year; definitely great tools.

TightVNC Viewer
To connect to a couple of servers with VNC installed,
has better performance than regular VNC.
It's free but you can donate 10 GBP, which I did.

DoPDF 6
Converts any document into a static PDF. It's free.

Winzip 12.1
Costs like 20 USD a year, I appreciate the burn to DVD
and spanned ZIP files (on several small .Z** files instead
of a huge .ZIP)

RAMDisk from SuperSpeed, I mapped FireFox cache to a
RAM disk, that greatly accelerates Web browsing.
You got to pay it once, costs like 40 USD too.

Robocopy tool from MS Windows Resource Kits, an excellent
smart tool to copy folders from one machine to another,
it's like xcopy but far smarter! It's free.

Nuance PDF Converter 6 : let's you convert PDF files
into PPT, XLS, DOC, etc... great tool too. Costs like
40 USD.

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Studio Express,
great to connect to Deployment Planner database and
run a few manual queries or updates. It's free

Sebastian

Man, you guys have roles? I looked at my contract and it just says:
* Other Duties as assigned
* Complete before assigned
* work-on before requested
* No Redneck Jokes
* Fridays are Half-Day Hunting Days
% No hunting from the car
% You have to eat what you hit
* Get along with others
* Keep your area spotless
* Don't bring the flu with you!
* Keep the radio quiet
* Keep the Family HAPPY (even if you aren't there)

And... a bunch more things about the other duties and completions. Man, I wish I had a defined role!

(db)

hi sebastian, about UltraEdit and UltraCompare: i use Notepad++ for these tasks. It's free. What benefits do UltraEdit and UltraCompare have over Notepad++ (if any)?

Hi Remo,

I didn't know about Notepad++, good to know there are some
free alternatives too.
Thanks for the tip!

I use Notepad++ for various editing tasks, Squirrel SQL for SQL requests, OWDLC for date converting and JDEDEBUGLOG ON/OFF, and SelectVar for easy and quick choosing of the variables , JDETrace for analysing the jdedebug log when analyzing processes with complex business functions calls.

What I would like (dont know if it exists freeware) :

1) A tool to locate every Section/Event Rule where a field is accessed/written to.
Same for every form/control/event rule where a field is accessed/written to.

2) A tool to replace every link to a version in a batch/application, with links to another version.

3) A freeware to test BSFNs (I know OneAssist but it isnt freeware.

UltraEdit is hands down the best text editor and general source editor available (IMO). Some of the things I like about it/use it for.

- Best text editor I have found for working with extremely large text files

- I use it for text searches against the \include, \source and system\incude directories. It really helps if you are looking for an example of a JDE API, want to find every where a data struct is used, etc. Want to find every where a function is called from a BSFN, etc. Even supports Regular Expression searches. It will output a list of found results, double clicking the result can take you directly to the source file.

- Bookmarks. 'Nuff said.

- Column mode. Hard to describe here but I have used this for all sorts of things.

- Text file sorting

- Macros

- Toggle between text and hex mode (need to see if there is a CR/LF or just a LF), etc.

- Also makes a good little source code editor for just about any language you can think of with syntax highlighting, etc (actually this is probably its intended target). You can even configure external tools such as a compiler to work from within UltraEdit. For example when I was learning Java I used it as my source code editor and configured the Java compiler to be executed from a custom toolbar to compile my project and even launch them.

- Has about a million other features I haven't even talked about or even used.

- Highly customizable and configurable.

Hi Olivier,

[ QUOTE ]
What I would like (dont know if it exists freeware) :

1) A tool to locate every Section/Event Rule where a field is accessed/written to.
Same for every form/control/event rule where a field is accessed/written to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is one:
#1. Print ER Code in the desired scope to a text file.
#2. Open the .txt with your Notepad++
#3. Search for any, what you want, including BC, PC, RV, ER var names, Section names, BSFN names, etc.

It is absolutly FRE and FLEXIBLE
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

Regards,

Zoltán

Olivier,

As you would imagine, as much as we love JDE, there is very little commercial interest in creating freeware tools ;-)

Your #1 is covered by OneAssist - you can find these details in the exported text files, much like Zoltan suggested, except that the text file export will be done in a much more automatic fashion.

For your #2, if I read it correctly, you should be able to use our Code CopyCat - it does exactly that when copying versions.

We also have another tool for your #3 - Pok-Ta-Pok.

What would you say to an unprecedented one-off time-limited (only when paid until the end of September'2009), <font color="red">50%-off offer on OneAssist</font>, exclusively to the readers of this thread on JDEList? - please e-mail me off-list.

Yeah Zoltan, this is what i do right now.
But I havent found a way to print a list of every section/event rule where my VA or BC is accessed/written to.
All I can do (but maybe I'm missing something) is search for the variable then search up for SECTION with Match Case turned on, to be alble to know in which section i am. Same for event rule.

Hi Olivier,

I was sure, that I won't tell you anything new
cool.gif

This method is a bit "stone aged", but works.

Just a note, which made me head aches and hard work sometimes.

If somebody renames a variable, then the new name will appear only in the revised ER lines, the old name will be appear in the non-revised lines as well in ER Editor as in the printed ER list. The Visual ER Compare tool will display the current name in all affected ER lines.
...at least this is the scenario on XE SP 23 and I really hope, this already changed in later releases, tool sets.

Regards,

Zoltán

HI Zoltan,

yeah I came across the same situation, at one point I even saw some comparison text, translated into french "est égal à" instead of "is equal to", but I was connected with english language... I think this is due to the fact that ER are stored in both compiled and text in the Central Objects.
You can verify this by opening "gbrspec" (table that contains the event rules) in UTB and search for any event rule line with more than one tab on the right window, and look at the tab "end data" on the right.
And RDA and Print ER probably look for the text instead of rebuilding it from the compiled version.
I think that OneAssist on the contrary rebuilds the source from the "compiled" version. Probably Visual ER compare too.

Back