Web mailboxes

ekempter

ekempter

Administrator
We are considering banning web mailbox addresses (i.e. Hotmail, Bigfoot, Yahoo, etc.) from the mailing lists in order to minimize e-mail harvesting. What do you think?

Place your system configuration information in your signature!

Eric,
Good idea.
I suppose, it refers to the e-mail address that we have to give at registration time, am I right?
But please, regard the next two con too:
1.) There is a bunch of free mail service all over the world.
2.) What about guys who are currently unemployed or independent?
I'm very curious to the other's opinion too.
<font color=yellow>Zoltán</font color=yellow>

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

I think it is a bad Idea, I use a Yahoo address so that I can look keep all my post in one area. When I used my work account I kept running into problems with mail box size.

Chad Anderson
Generac Portable Products L.L.C.

Chad,
I accept your opinion.
Please, see my two cons too in my previous mail.
Have you considered the following already:
1.) The size of Forum's mails is very low.
2.) What about to direct your Forum's mails into a personal folder residing on your HDD or on one of your servers?
<font color=yellow>Zoltán</font color=yellow>

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

I take it that you don't have a personal ISP account?

That is an interesting question. But, I have use my work address and have been on this list (with one address or another) for a VERY long time and can not see any place where my address may have been harvested.

I hate Spam just as much as the next guy, but has it been a problem?

I would hate to see some people excluded just because they happen to use Yahoo or Hotmail.

Scott Parker
Grote Industries, LLC.
WorldSoftware Version 8.1.2 AS/400 V4R4 (soon to be V4R5)

I don't think that would be a major breakthrough ... I got more spam on my work address than on the hotmail; yahoo is a totally different animal - they have their own "spammers".
Whatever you choose to do, I guess you'll let us know in advance./wwwimages/icons/grin.gif

B732.1 SP12.2, Oracle 805 on RS/6000, Citrix, Win95&NT

Negative. Many people have email addresses from these sources for very legitimate and necessary reasons.
I personally have no fears regarding the "harvesting" that takes place. It happens everywhere on the net.
I am also unclear as to how this restricts individuals or organizations from harvesting information about us. Yes the spam traffic is an issue, but so is rush hour traffic at 5pm, spam is a fact of life on the net.

You do a very credible job of restricting this type of activity and protecting us from many evils. But let's not punish those who don't have the same resources as others.

My 2 cents.
Larry

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld B733.1, SP 11.3
HPUX 11.0, Oracle SE 8.0.5

/wwwimages/icons/frown.gif terrible idea. i use yahoo so that my regular e-mail account is not picked up off of this list (as has happened in the past when i was using the JDELIST). if some people get my yahoo account and start sending me junk i will simply start a new yahoo account. i would not have that same liberty with my work account.
dave

NT 4.0 SP5, SQL 7.0, One World B7321 SP12.4

<big><font color=yellow>I did have a personal ISP account but I got rid of it when I went to a new Cable modem. /wwwimages/icons/yikes.gif I decided that using Yahoo would be alot easier than telling everyone to use a new address whenever I change or move ISP's.</big></font color=yellow>

Chad Anderson
B733.1 AS400 Ent NT SQL Deploy

Please, please do not do this!

I use services like hotmail to create specific accounts for different purposes. I must say that since starting with jdelist, I have not received anything at my hotmail account that was not directly related to the list (very impressive!).

I must also second the previous notes on not having to send out change of address notices to all of creation if I change jobs or ISP's. I've recently been through both, and it's a nightmare.

Just let me keep my relationship with the list through my hotmail account, and I'll be a happy camper

owguru (at least I'm trying :)
>all versions
>all platforms

You've convinced me! Web maiboxes are here to stay!

<font color=yellow><big> Ya!!!!! Go web mailboxes!!! Thanks eric </font color=yellow></big>

Chad Anderson
B733.1 AS400 Ent NT SQL Deploy

Back