WAN performance for JDE E1 ...

Mike Sebring

Hi. We're running E1 version 8.12 (tools release 8.97) and are experiencing major performance problems for web-client WAN users. Its being run over a T1 and we've analyzed our network traffic. The network is fine - no where near capacity and no other network data issues but JDE. The issue primarily happens when doing inquiries in applications. A local user can hit 'Find' and get a page of results in 1 sec, but a WAN user can be stucking in "Processing" mode for 5 or 10 minutes. Oracle has been little help ... as soon as they hear WAN its their key to blow us off. Are there any JAS or WebSphere settings we should be looking for that might help? It almost seems like the processing load is happening on the client side instead of the server side. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike Sebring (sebring1130 @ hotmail.com)

What's the WAN latency? - JDE WEB pages are full of JScript and indeed a lot of processing is happening on the client. I.e.: populating the grid would likely issue miriads of little requests to the JAS server.

You can try pinging the Server from any of these Clients and some of these Clients back from the Server - see if anything looks unusual.

And also, what's your Interactivity Level? - have you tried playing with it?

You can consider these solutions ..

SOLUTION ID 201061798 E1: JAS: HTTP error: 400: Bad Request or Web Apps get stuck processing
https://metalink3.oracle.com/od/faces/secure/km/DocumentDisplay.jspx?id=660020.1&h=Y

SOLUTION ID: 201042032 E1: JAS: Any EnterpriseOne 8.12 application gets stuck in "processing"

https://metalink3.oracle.com/od/faces/secure/km/DocumentDisplay.jspx?id=654767.1&h=Y

Also check if you are using file compression and Image caching in HTTP Server (addressed in WAS documentation if I am not mistaken)

I am also curious how many concurrent users are you running over T1?

Yet another thing - besides WAN quality issue also could be caused by LAN quality in the remote site vs. LAN quality in the Data Center/HQ.
For example we have noted some intermittent issues when running on Wireless network vs wired, or when remote sites have not so great Switches / routers / network infrastructure

Mike,

Another thing to consider after looking at the other settings. You could set up a citrix terminal and then do a published application. Publish internet explorer. Have your remote users access the terminal server, rather than their local browsers. In this scenario, all of the processing is happening on the lan, only the screen images are sent across the WAN. Citrix has a very small WAN footprint.

Gregg

We had the exact issue you are describing. Although it has not been eliminated entirely, it is dramatically reduced by applying the patch supplied by microsoft here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282402

Be advised, that this is a registry setting that affect the HKEY CURRENT USER, so you will need to every user to apply this to their PC, preferably with a log in script or something.
The exact keys to add are:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:0000000a
"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:0000000a

[ QUOTE ]
We had the exact issue you are describing....Be advised, that this is a registry setting that affect the HKEY CURRENT USER, so you will need to every user to apply this to their PC, preferably with a log in script or something....

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the main reasons for considering publishing Internet Explorer through Citrix or Terminal Services, amongst many others.

In effect, the reasons for centralizing the browser and publishing the browser for JDE access is as follows :

1. Performance (network latency AND bandwidth)
2. Manageability (who wants to manage thousands of browsers on the intranet ?!)
3. Security (uncontrolled browsers can attract spyware, and that can compromise your financial system)

I just finished a workshop with Oracle - and they are still proposing for larger customers - especially those with WAN connectivity - that we publish Internet Explorer through Citrix. That way, we can totally restrict IE to only work against the JAS servers (removing the address bar for example through a policy) and completely restrict access to ONLY work through the Terminal Server session.

Now, one product I AM looking at to replace Citrix for publishing the apps is Cendio - which provides seamless publishing of applications just like Citrix, but without the cost :

http://www.cendio.com/seamlessrdp/

Has anyone else implemented this open-source solution ? Obviously this would dramatically reduce the price for many users compared to the pricing for Citrix...

[ QUOTE ]
This is one of the main reasons for considering publishing Internet Explorer through Citrix or Terminal Services, amongst many others.

[/ QUOTE ]

The obvious reason why most companies can't do this thru Citrix is cost. Windows Server 2008 will eliminate some of the cost issue and the seamless published application issue, however. Terminal Services in Win2K8 does not need Citrix. It has all of the features that made Citrix advantageous (at least as far as publishing IE JDE over Citrix). There is still the cost of additional hardware.

I had a client that had this issue at only one site. You may want to check the HTTP logs for timeouts. They had a bad router/switch at the remote site and packets kept going astray.

Tom

Thank you all very much. I will look at those JDE and MS patches right away. Sounds like we'll also want to at least explore the published browser option.
Thanks again!

These look like real possibilities - I'll try them and let you know how it goes. We're running only about 2-3 dozen concurrent users.
Thank you!

Back