Hi Folks,
=20
Just wondering if anyone had any extensive experience using a W line =
type
within sales order entry to automatically generate a works order? One of =
the
most obvious pitfalls is the fact that there is no availability checking =
when
using W line type within sales order entry.
=20
Any experiences or thoughts would be greatly appreciated
=20
Regards
=20
James
=20
=20
=20
=20
=20
=20

The common use of W line type is when the product is not stocked, but is "make to order". The real advantage here is the linkage between the sales order and the work order for the visibility it provides. You can also update sales order status codes based on work order activity.

Regarding your comment about no availability checking, I'm not sure if you're referring to the parent or its components. You can certainly turn on availability checking for the parent in the processing options, but you wouldn't expect to have any in stock anyway. If you want to check component availability at the time of order entry, you could add a row exit to Part Availability, P30200, that could be checked before actually creating the order.

My experience is not as heavy in One World as it is in World, but here's my
two cents worth. If you have a line type 'W' part and it is on stock, it
will check the quantity available before creating the work order.
Therefore, if it is in stock, it will allocate that stock inventory and not
create a work order. If it is not in stock, it will. Again, this is from a
World perspective. Early versions of World did not do this, but later
versions do. You may just have to test it.

... and if you are willing to do a bit of extra clicking, from SOE, take the row exit to availability checking and from there a form exit to BOM Inquiry and then the tab for (component) parts availability is available.
... and Tim has the right idea about the use of line type "W". If you build-to-stock, then the "W" is not the best choice. But if you build-to-order, then it is.
My client will use this functionality to build repair part packs - when ordered - so they don't have to stock them.

Back