Vocabulary Overrides

DIlchenko

Hi List,

There's something I don't quite understand here.

When I create a vocabulary override and want to distribute the change to my clients, I need to create an update package with changed application or report (info from System Administration Manual by JDE). That works fine; the only problem I have is when I need to test the mod on one client I still need to create the damn package. I seem to have tried everything instead: check out, get, regenerate, kill glbtbl/ddtext/dddict - nothing helps. But the update package does work.

Question: what is done during an Update Package install which is not done during checkout/get, etc. Has anyone got any idea? I am 100% sure that VOs are written directly to RDB, hence checkout or get must download them to local spec files... now, where am I wrong?

Thanks in advance for your info.

Regrads,

Dmitry Ilchenko

Xe/SP 14.1 Oracle 8.1.6/AIX 3.4

Instead of checking out the object you need to install the object. This will
totally rebuild everything connected to this application including business
functions, make files, etc.. You shouldn't need to actually build a package
to do this. Vocabulary overrides are not contained in the
glbtbl/ddtext/dddict spec files.

Colin

P.S. You can only install an app on a development workstation (need VC++)

Colin Dawes, MSc
City of Guelph
B7332 SP13.1, Oracle 8.1.6, NT 4.0, Fat & WTS

Re: RE: Vocabulary Overrides

To add on to Colin's point.

Vocabulary Override DOES update the specs in the RDB. However actual applications run off the local TAM file specs. Until you rebuild/update/distribute the TamFile specs in some fashion (such as Package Build) you ain't gonna see spit on somebody else's box.

My 2 cents,

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld B733.1, SP 11.3
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
SandBox: OneWorld XE

Is this something that can be done in Xe? If so, can you tell me how/direct
me to documentation? We're having the very same problem with vocabulary
overrides, despite the fact that the docs on the Knowledge Garden say that
you just have to check it out to see it on the workstation.

Thanks,
--Scotti Whitmire
DeRoyal Industries
Xe, AIX4.3.3, Oracle 8.1.6

Dmitry,
I suppose that OW stores vocabulary overrides in FDATEXT and RDATEXT local spec files.
Unfortunately they are not deletable as glbltbl and ddict, ddtext files. I have tried it with FDATEXT but OW couldn't launch after deletion.

Colin's hint about Install instead Get/Check-Out does not work on XE (or I don't know where can I execute it?).
Prior XE, Check-Out was enough to bring overrides to the workstation, further prior B733 (e.g. B7321) Vocabulary Overrides require to check out the object for translation and check in the translated object.

Dmitry's problem is a problem for us too.

Does anybody know any method to refresh RDATEXT, FDATEXT files globally or only for one object (in XE)?
...OR...
Is something like "Install" under XE too?

I have my 2 cents but it could be dangerous:
Design a bit the old P9860 making it usable and try to Check-Out the Object with it. I made living P9860 for me under XE but I use it only for "read-only" functions like "Function Search, etc.
I tell the truth that I have never tried my suggested (and dangerous?) method. If somebody already done it then please, share the experiences with us. Thanks.

Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Zoltan :

I nice way to refresh just one spec would be to build a full
client package but :

a) Not selecting Build BSFN Functions
b) Not selecting compression
c) On the spec screen, don't select "Generate all specs", and select
"Individual specs" : FDATEXT and RDATEXT.

Let the package run, it will generate just these two specs on the
Deployment, after it finishes copy them to your client PC.

Sebastian Sajaroff

MCSE,MCDBA,Citrix Admin,MCP+I,Argentinian OneWorld Survivor!

RE: RE: Vocabulary Overrides

Adding to Larry's point now - I think that the vocabulary overrides are
contained in the F98750 in the RDB. I believe that the overrides get built
into the FDATEXT (F98750) TAM files. When you do a check out of an object it
pulls from the F98750 (which is updated) but for some wacky reason the
vocabulary override does not get updated in the workstations FDATEXT (check
using TAM browser). However doing an install does update the FDATEXT. Does
anyone know the exact difference between check out and install (my notions
are just unproven theories)?

Colin

Colin Dawes, MSc
City of Guelph
B7332 SP13.1, Oracle 8.1.6, NT 4.0, Fat & WTS

Re: RE: RE: Vocabulary Overrides

Colin,
My understanding is that the check out only brings down the specs for the individual object you are checking out whereas the install is supposed to bring down all related objects (dstr, bsvw, etc.) that are needed to make the appl or ube function properly.
dave
ps: another unproven theory here also

NT 4.0 SP5, SQL 7.0, One World B7321 SP12.4, Citrix 1.8 (XE soon)

Dave, you are right.
Once upon a time I have read something like too:
Check-Out brings down all the specification that needed for development for the objects. Install brings down ONLY! the specification that needed to run object.
I supposed, Install should take less time then Check-Out. I wasn't right, Install take much more time. I tried it only once and used only when some specification on the workstation corrupted, hoping it will help when Check-Out didn't.
Zoltán

Thank you all people, it's all been very helpful.

You were absolutely right saying that OMW checks out from DV by default. So, check out DOES WORK, either in DV or in any other environments with reconfigured activity rules. GET doesn't seem to work (???), even if I use 'the right-hand one' which brings out the list of pathcodes.

Best regards,

Dmitry Ilchenko

Dmitry,
I have an other idea how to move Vocabulary Overrides to a single workstation for test purpose without package build and deploy under XE.
Try to Delete the spec locally in OMW for the specified object using the Delete function and after Get/Check-Out again.
Generally I do not like to suggest something that I haven't tried yet but unfortunatelly I just re-installed my XE client which eliminated my "experimental" situation that have existed in my previous installation on my workstation and a bit more work to create a new one just for a test.
Please, let us know on the List your results if you tried this way. Thanks.
(I hope, it will work ... and I am very curious to it)
Zoltán

Back