Using Pristine as a base JDE environment

TAV

TAV

Well Known Member
Recently we had an issue where because we merged the specs on an ESU we ended up with code that was deleted from the JDE object still in our code and it caused major issues. Nice of JDE to actually delete it and not comment it out but so it happens and you have to live with it. I need a solution to how we can avoid this issue though and have a real base object set to test with. I basically think you should always have a base set to test against or at least compare against.

Asking CNC to un-select the merge option is apparently asking too much and it appears updating the Pristine environement with updates regularly is too much to ask as well. So here we are.

I have in the past always had a base code set (like Pristine updated with ESUs taken) to compare against and this made making sure the base code worked pretty easy. However, my current location has Pristine as the base code delivered without any update and this is useless.

So I need to present a solution that will not overly tax CNC resources but be useful. However, any feedback on how Pristine can be used as a base code set or other solutions that accomplish the same thing will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Tomasso,

Our practice at our shop, is to apply all ESUs to the ESU pathcode. Our ESU pathcode is pristine plus applied ESUs. No custom or modified code goes in to that environment. The developers can then do a get on the objects from that environment and fit them in to DV. This prevents the other miscellanious objects that were bundled in to an ESU from being applied to our system.

Occasionally I am asked to go ahead and apply an ESU directly to DV or other environments. If so, the SOP is to also apply the change to the ESU pathcode. Once an ESU pathcode is created, that should not be a burden for your CNC to follow.

- Gregg

I'll remove the duplicate, if it shows up....

My ideal shop - similar to Greg's...
* Pristine (as installed)
* DEV Pathcode (where the ESU is applied and tested before going to CRP)
* CRP Pathcode (where the ESU is applied and tested with GOOD [better??] Data before going to PROD)
* PROD Pathcode (after all the testing and approval and SUX compliancy has been written and bought $$ off on)
* ESU Pathcode (absolutely no modifications - the ESU is applied here at the same time it goes to Production)

The idea is that the latest unmodified code can be pulled/tested from the ESU Pathcode up until it gets approved for PROD - in the event of something going south (like Oracle wanting the unmodified code to be tested). Likewise - the non-retrofitted code can be pulled from 'subsequent' Pathcodes until it gets promoted through the process.

Though I am aware of no site that actually does this (most sites claim space concerns, CNC time and clutter)... this is my ideal setup... Just consider my 'ideal' to be the 'Time, Space and Clutter Ultimatum'... sounds like something that NASA might put together... or a good movie to put on a shelf next to Cloverfield....

Now the disclaimer... I'm not a CNC and I never worked for NASA. However, I stay at a hotel (sorry, not a Holiday Express) about fifteen nights a month :-o

Appendage to T's remark... NEVER (may I use a bigger font if I could) DIS your CNC! Rather on JDEList, a Private Forum or In the OFFICE. They have more power over you than a wife, future wife, ex-wife, future gurlfriend or next ex-wife (in any unfathomable order). If you desire to have a really bad life - go ahead and dis the CNC publicly on JDEList (they'll find you!). Say the farmer to the mule... "that's one!"

(db)

I've always agreed. Having a Pristine without the ESU's or updates added - ie, pristine "off the CD" - is completely useless. Pristine should really be "JDE Only objects" - all custom code starting from DV onwards...

However, many customers have the practice of creating an "ESU" pathcode between Pristine and DV. I don't really see that being a problem - it just takes up space for a completely unnecessary environment (and, after all, couldn't you just create a Pristine environment from the CD at any point in the future ?), and requires you to create a "custom" pathcode just for ESU's together with custom activity rules, etc.

I've always told my customers to apply ESU's and updates to Pristine. At some point, it might be necessary to identify something - which is where you are right now. Of course, hopefully you tested in DV before you applied the ESU in PY, and tested in PY before you applied it in PD...?!

[ QUOTE ]
If you desire to have a really bad life - go ahead and dis the CNC publicly on JDEList (they'll find you!).
(db)

[/ QUOTE ]

We're always watching...
cool.gif

First... Thank you all for the very good feedback.

JDE (sorry Oracle) suggested applying all updates to the Pristine environment as an updated base code set originally and that was my initial proposal in a meeting previously on this subject. The work required amd the need were issues so I was tasked with finding out all the options before we formally reviewed it again. Contacting GSC again and getting a few different feedbacks along with what I see here seems to confirm what I already knew.

I have seen this done many different ways and the idea that you need to have a base to use that is clean is the key. The mechanics of that can more art than science.

Jon,
I tend to agree with your view that you always have delivered code on the disc. Pristine can be used to apply all the ESUs you need to be able to use it as a base reference for your installation. This has seemed to work pretty well in the past and is the least work, which is why I suggested it initially. It looks like it will end up being the best solution unless something new comes up.

Thanks again to all.

Oh and for Daniel since your always watching
smile.gif

I wasn't trying to dis the CNC guys by stating they did not jump on board for the extra work I was bringing up. I wouldn't either and it just makes sense people would try to find an easier way if possible so we search. If there is not enough resources I am also one of the first to agree to put sometihng off until it can be done correctly.

Now apparently it appeared to be a dis more than a whine of how things are in any shop I've been in (and I've been in a few) and for that I am sorry. Never meant it that way.

You know I did CNC for a while when at JDE (even had CNC training) and after at one employer did quite a bit of CNC. So I am a bit familiar with the CNC function. I know it's not the same now since the last time I did a lot was back in 2002 or so but hasn't changed that much has it;)

I would be the one piping up about extra work if I was first hearing about something like this so it's what I would expect from anyone. If I was doing your CNC you would be simply stating a fact that I am going to bring up some "not enough hours in the day" thing. It's what I do. But then I guess that's only me:)

Oh and on the wife thing. You may be right on for many but for me you are way off. I've switched jobs and spouses and gettig a new gig is way easier than getting a new spouse. Yes even in todays world and that is with no doubt at all and besides I really like the one I have and she is just without doubt job one to keep happy.

I assuming you are kidding or have had bad spouse syndrome. heh heh

Sorry but for me that is as much of an absolute as you can chisel in the stone of life;) All this other stuff is small stuff compared to family. I had close family die too young and spending just a few more days back then would be worth leaving any job I ever had period. Just a strong lesson I learned in my personal world for me;) Work is only so important and I never take it personally. Again maybe it's just me:)

Thanks for the input on the other thing though as you always have good feedback and I will be sure to watch the way I say things in the future so as not to offend anyone. I have friends who are CNC and they might beat on me;) May not do that well at it but I will try. It goes without saying probably my first goal would be to learn to say less;) ha ha Not sure if you remember me out here but I can be a bit wordy:)

Thanks all again. I'm off on a trip so I will see you on the other side.

Take care,

[ QUOTE ]

I wasn't trying to dis the CNC guys by stating they did not jump on board for the extra work I was bringing up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't view it this way either - but sometimes us CNC folks are very stubborn...at least, the permanent employee ones are (us others just charge more $$$$)

[ QUOTE ]
If there is not enough resources I am also one of the first to agree to put sometihng off until it can be done correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Theres never too few resources. Just too little $$$ - you could always get in a professional externally (little plug for consulting services !)

[ QUOTE ]
You know I did CNC for a while when at JDE (even had CNC training) and after at one employer did quite a bit of CNC. So I am a bit familiar with the CNC function. I know it's not the same now since the last time I did a lot was back in 2002 or so but hasn't changed that much has it;)

[/ QUOTE ]
CNC has changed dramatically in the past 7 years. If you include Xe days (most customers were still Xe or 8.0 in 2002) - we've gone from Terminal Servers/Citrix through to Websphere and horribly configured JAS service releases - through to OAS and what we have today. We're about to change everything again to Weblogic whenever Oracle moves to the BEA platform. We've seen companies attempt to trivialize the CNC role, by either trying to get developers to perform architecture and system administration functions or by ignoring the requirements altogether - and, of course, SOX has impacted most implementations to the point where we're now spending more time chasing SOX requests than anything else.

[ QUOTE ]

Oh and on the wife thing. You may be right on for many but for me you are way off. I've switched jobs and spouses and gettig a new gig is way easier than getting a new spouse. Yes even in todays world and that is with no doubt at all and besides I really like the one I have and she is just without doubt job one to keep happy.

I assuming you are kidding or have had bad spouse syndrome. heh heh

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. This is getting a little tangential now. However, its interesting to note that Divorce rates have reduced in the bad economy. Thats because people literally cannot afford a divorce. So, as Lewis Black stated a few weeks back - why IS divorce so expensive ? Because its totally freakin' worth it !!!!

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks all again. I'm off on a trip so I will see you on the other side.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good luck on your vacation. Sounds like its a little overdue !

Back