User Override

gigi

gigi

VIP Member
OneWorld XE SP 16
Enterprise NT Oracle 8.1.6
WTS NT with Citrix

Hi guy,
i've got a lot of problem with User Override. It is impossible work with grid format. When a user create a new User override on a form, he can see the format for a few days, after some days this User override dissappear. On the F98950 the record is saved again, but don't appear on the form, or crash the application (memory violation). The only method to solve this problem is to delete periodically the user override? I've verified this problem on WTS and sometimes on fat client. Please, help me!!!

thanks Gigi

Hi Gigi,

First of all, You Are Welcome on he Forums/Lists!

You are right. The remedy for memory violations is to delete the user overrides in several cases. If you search for it in the archieves of the Forums, you will get a lot of posts about it.

Welcome aboard!

Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

.... next week, we'll try to migrate to Windows 2000 with Cytrix.
I hope to improve the comunication protocol and improve my situation.
Bye bye.
Gigi

... we are migrated to Win 2000 with Citrix 1.8, but it's NOT solve the user override problem.
Does anyone know exactly which is the problem? Is it a problem of string length that it tries to write to F98950?

Bye thanks Gigi

Gigi,

As stated in previous posts, the problem lies within the way user overrides are coded. There are two solutions that I know of:

1. Create global overrides and try to limit the number of tabs per application. The biggest problem is typically P4210 because it uses such a large business view and it is the generally the most commonly used application. We have convinced our customer service group that by deleting their individual overrides and create a template for them all to use, it takes up much less space in the overrides table, has less chance of corruption, and therefore they get much less frequent memory violations. We have done this as a short term solution and it's working pretty well.

2. Upgrade to SP16. Supposedly the code for overrides has been given an overhaul, though I haven't confirmed that it is a viable solution yet..

Has anyone out there who has moved to SP16 (or greater) noticed any difference with overrides?

Thanks,

Justin

Justin Revoredo
Amersham Pharmacia Biotech
Piscataway, NJ
OW B7332 Coexistence SP11.1
AS/400 Oracle
Citrix/Fat

Hi Justin,

Your solution is great, I like it.
How were you able to convince your customers to do not create individual overrides?
Do you use the power and regulary delete the individual overrides (it also could be a tool of convincing :))) ?

Thank you that you shared your solution,
Zoltán

Justin,

Gigi is on SP16 per his/her post.
I too was hoping the rewrite in SP16 of the User Overrides would correct this problem prone area.

Guess not. :(

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld XE, SP 15.1
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
Mfg, Distribution, Financials

Zoltan/Larry/Gigi,

My fault, I didn't see the initial thread that Gigi was on SP16 already. There goes that whole theory that our solution was only short term.

As far as "convincing" our Customer Service Reps not to create overrides, well we convince with an iron fist. We deleted their 'create tab' access!

We are still rolling this out throughout the company, as it was most frequently causing problems in Customer service. So far it's been pretty helpful. Looks like we'll have to continue to roll it out since SP16 doesn't appear to do anything with it! That was one of our biggest selling points on getting a new DEV deployment server so we can finally get off of 11.1 and leap into the '80s.

As far as convincing users to buy into this, well if the crashes happened as much as they did here, it's a non-issue. Give them a choice - system crashes or global tabs. Be sure to tell them though that it won't be the answer to ALL Jde crashes. I'm still looking for the answer to that one....hopefully Xe!

Justin

Justin Revoredo
Amersham Pharmacia Biotech
Piscataway, NJ
OW B7332 Coexistence SP11.1
AS/400 Oracle
Citrix/Fat

Hi Justin,

First, thank you for your update.
How did you deleted their 'create tab' access?

Regards,
Zoltán

Back