Use Data Sel/Seq from a section

sheeba

Reputable Poster
Hi all,

Could someone pls clear my doubt which has been bugging me for a while ...

When using the 'Use Data Sel/Seq from a section' system function - is it necessary that both sections have the same bsvw

for eg. Is it ok to use this system fn when let's say the first section uses V8300001 and the second section uses the V8300005 (where actually the above sys fn. is called)

pls clarify...thanks in advance.

ks

Both sections must and should have same BV if you want to use that system function

techie,

this is what the api reference says

"UseDataSel/SeqFromASection retrieves the data selection and/or the data sequencing for a given section in a report and use it for the current section. This section does not have to be in the current report, it can be any valid section from any report. The source section must be attached to a business view that is compatible with the business view of the current section."

when they say 'compatible' is what worries me - don't u think then V8300001 AND V8300005 which has all the same fields should be ok - i have used this in many reports which is already in production but has not got back with issues so far ... but am still concerned and a bit confused...

thanks
ks

You might be OK to use a different bsvw, as long as they both have the same files, joins, fields. And in the same order. I have seen unpredictable results occur, when different bsvw's were used.

guru,

i think so too... so i guess i am fine when using the similar bsvws. Yes both V8300001 AND V8300005 are the same except that one has a simple join and another a left outer join between 2 files.

i was concerned 'cz one of the mails posted here said it needed to be the same bsvw in both sections.

anyways... alls well that ends well.

thanks for all ur time.

rgds
ks

Back