upgradinf form SP14.1 to SP21

guilleux

We think about doing a purely technical upgrade from SP14.1 to SP21 (environment described at the end of this message).
The reasons are mainly support for Operating System, Database and scalability of our servers.

Did someone already realize something like that ?
Is there a risk tobe obliged to do a functional update, event if we initially want to avoid it ? For example, an SP brings a modification which needs an ESU which needs a baseline ESU. I’ve read some threads about SP20 and R09801.
Do you know a similar problem with the modules we use, i.e sales and transportation ?

I’m interesting in any experience of technical migration needing to be linked with a functional migration, even for an SP smaller than 21.

Thanks in advance
A.Guilleux

Our current platform :
Windows NT4, Oracle 8.0.6
SP14.1
no update (« update 0 »)
We only use Sales and transportation modules.

Our future platform :
Windows 2000, Oracle 9.2
SP21
No functional change : « update 0 »

Alain :

I've done that kind of purely technical upgrades.
First of all, I recommend you to install the latest Planner ESU before
installing newer Service Packs.
In some cases (not always) Service Packs requires ESUs, such
as SP20.1 and R09801 bug. In that case, you'll have to apply a
couple of ESUs before upgrading your SP level.
Baseline ESUs and Xe Updates are far more complicated and
need careful planning before installation and deployment.
You should also check what are OS and DBMS Service Pack
requirements.
Some OneWorld Service Packs requiere specifical Oracle or NT fixes.

Regards, Sebastian Sajaroff

We recently did almost that exact same upgrade - and the biggest end user issue we experienced was a performance issue in "tab sensitive screens" based on the increased frequency with which user overrides were saved. We resolved this by ensuring our user overrides table was on the enterprise server (rather than our WAN linked deployment server). Just a gotcha...

Cheers,
--Malcolm.

Hi,

I've done SP21 upgrade a couple of times now. There is a known issue caused by SP21 (Breaking News Document reports this on the Knowledge Garden) to do with R09801 (posting subledger batches). The document gives you the SAR and ESU that addresses issue.

Although it's a pretty straightforward upgrade, as you're going from a relatively early SP to one of the latest, I would consider using mutlifoundation method so you can test one environment against SP21 first.

Also make sure you install the latest oneoff SP for SP21 (I think this is currently SP21_I1).

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Sanjeev
CNC Consultant

Back