Upgrade To E811 and MSSQL Server and Financials

Terry Duffy

Well Known Member
Hi,

Out of shear desperation to try and get things done, I am turning to the user community, especially the MSSQL server users.

I have completed an upgrade for a customer from Xe to E811 8.94_T1 / SQL Server 2000 SP4 / WAS 5.0.2.12 on Windows 2003 over 3 months ago.

We are having performance issues within the Financial suite of progams relating to the Microsoft SQL Server 2000 JDBC drivers.

Grids were just timing out when trying to run queries. If you set up an access database / ODBC link to the same tables (F03B13) and placed the same sql statement through query it brought back the two records concerned in seconds.

This IS A KNOWN ISSUE AT JDE......

To our surprise when we reported the issue it was initially bounced around between apps and tech and then finally left in apps.

To quote GSC (who to be fair have been fairly up front and honest about this and can do no more than wait for development):-

Response from our development is "This is the Microsoft performance issue. This is the same issue that our customers have been reporting and the response from Microsoft is always the same as below. There is no quick fix since the fix recommended by Microsoft below will resolve this particular SQL statement performance problem but it may introduce problems in other areas.".

The developer also let me know that they are working on a project and we have seen very good performance increase with Microsoft 2005 JDBC driver. But utilizing the SQL Server 2005 JDBC driver running against SQL Server 2000 DB is not a viable solution to explore as we do not support an application server (web server) that supports the level of JRE required by the SQL Server JDBC driver. The JRE level required for SQL Server 2005 JDBC driver is 1.4. WAS 5.0.2 and WAS 6.0 only support JRE 1.3.

This has been an issue for some customers from Xe onwards, so was known prior to JDE releasing E811 - yet developmentlet this code out with a recommendation for a JDBC driver that they knew would not work 100% correctly from a vendor who was not going to change the way the driver works, and JDE were not going to change the way their code has been written!

I was told to take my problem to Microsoft "it was there issue".

Microsoft came back with:-

= If the JDBC client app specifies only FORWARD_ONLY, which only indicates the scroll type. In such situations SQL chooses the cursor type to DYNAMIC. On the other hand, if the client app wants to make sure that it does not get a performance hit due to DYNAMIC cursor (which occurs because we are allowing a lot more functionality in DYNAMIC cursors), then it needs to explicitly state the cursor type to be either KEYSET or STATIC.

Which is what they have been telling JDE all along, but JDE have not changed there way of constructing the jdbc call.

I have been told to remove all sort orders from with FDA for any applications that are not responding correctly, and to be fair that has fixed the grid timing out, and now returns the data in a comparable time to the ODBC link, BUT if choose to go to the end of the grid then it takes twice as long to perform the same action in E811 than it did in Xe. For our customer this is unacceptable as the totals for the grid are invariably at the end of the grid.

We are getting nowhere with JDE, even though the customer wanted to also apply CRM once they upgraded. They have abandonded the upgrade until JDE find a resolution, but nobody at JDE seems willing to talk to them never mind give them a possible date.

Has anyone else out there come across this situation, I believe that JDE have at least 18 Critical Escalations on this (according to my Denver source last month). Does anyone know of anyway to get around this within the bounds of reason and that JDE might support.

Hi Terry,

May you, please, post your server JDE.INI, JAS.INI and
JDBJ.INI? Please, don't forget to erase the passwords!

Many JDE performance nightmares are just related to
JDE.INI settings.

How many users you have? May you please describe your
servers specs? RAM? Disks? CPU? Network?

I've installed E811SP1 8.95E1 + SQL2000 SP4 + W2003SP1
(as a training lab for some powerusers) and haven't had
any of those performance troubles you mention.

Finally, don't expect to have the same performance on
E811SP1 Web than on Fat Xe (unless you have so much
more processing power on the Web, on the DB and on the
"400 lb" thin clients).

Regards,

Sebastian,

please see attached Ent Server JDE.ini / HTML Server JAS.ini / JDBJ.ini / HTMLClient.ini files as requested.

The server specs are Intel Xeon 4xCPU (3.6Ghz) with 3.5Gb RAM for HTML server / Logic Server / Database Server. All running Windows 2003 SP1.

The user base will be no more than 100, and we are currently testing with less than 10.

The clients connect via terminal server although I get the same results if I run the web client directly on the web server, so I do not think that it is hardware related.

Microsoft remotley logged into our system and saw the problem first hand, and set up a small jave app connecting to the database and showed by changing the rowset parameter that we could get back the results in the same amount of time as a ODBC connection. What they could not mimic was the go to end of grid.

The biggest issuse is when the application uses a left outer join to return results across 2 tables. The most obvious case for us was the P03B2002 application which enquires on the F0101 and the F03B13 tables.

Removing the sort order removes the left outer join statement that then returns the grid data instead of hanging the application.

The problem is not across the board.

The problem though is that once you remove the sort order and then regen indexes and the application it appears to have a knock on effect in that when you want to go to end of grid it doubles the amount of time to do that from Xe to E811 in some cases.

In our case the the F0101 table has 77K of records and the F03B13 958K.

In the attached spreadsheet you can see the big differences in time by removing sort orders from delivered code, but still far longer than users on the same terminal server running Xe.

Attachments

• 109507-JDELIST.zip
    15 KB · Views: 116
Sebastian,

thanks for the endorsement on the ini files etc.

The JDBC drivers are SP2 although I did try SP3 as well - no difference. So I backed out to SP2 again to stay within MTR's (having worked for JDE I know the mantra off by heart from development).

I must admit that I did not regenerate statistics after re-generating my indexes because the initial return of records performed 10 times faster than previously so presumed that side of the house was now updated successfully. The performance degradation is now all at the foot of the scroll to end functionality.

I will give it try though, any straw to clutch is better than none.

Terry,

just a couple of thoughts...

WAS 6.0 uses the JDE 1.4.2 not 1.3.1 so perhaps the SQL Server 2005 JDBC may work if you go to WAS 6.0.

Did you config indicate that you have 3 seperate machine that are 4 way's with 3.5 GB of RAM or do you have one combined machine? I can't tell from one of your last posts.

As for the JDBC drivers I've always used SP3. The MTR's don't really specify which version to use.

As for SQL Server SP4...I prefer 3.0a and still use it.

Have you updated the IBM WAS JDK to SR9 (just checking all angles)?

I'm bringing up a system next week with the following (similar) config so I'll try and reproduce your results:

811 SP1 Tools Release 8.96_B1 (Fix Current to July 22, 2006)
SQL Server 2000 SP 3.0a
Windows 2003 SP1
2 x 3.6 GHz Way Deployment Server 2.5 GB RAM (SAN - 2 RAID Sets)
2 x 3.6 GHz Way Enterprise Server 8.0 GB RAM (SAN - 5 RAID Sets)
2 x 3.6 GHz Way Web Server Server 8.0 GB RAM (Internal)
I'm running WAS ND 6.0.2.7 with IHS 6.0

Thanks for the testing scenario!

Colin

Colin,

thanks for those thoughts.

The response I got from GSC earlier to your idea was as follows:-

But utilizing the SQL Server 2005 JDBC driver running against SQL Server 2000 DB is not a viable solution to explore as we do not support an application server (web server) that supports the level of JRE required by the SQL Server JDBC driver. The JRE level required for SQL Server 2005 JDBC driver is 1.4. WAS 5.0.2 and WAS 6.0 only support JRE 1.3.

In answer to your other question they are seperate servers and not one, they all happen to be specced the same.

Hi,

Have you tried with Oracle WebServer? It's also supported
by E811SP1.

Sebastian,

No we have not tried the Orcale Webserver.

My initial thought on that were that surely the Oracle web server must also the same JDBC drivers to talk withthe database, which is the root cause of the problem.

Yes... but may be you won't have the JRE restriction
that impedes you to use SQL 2005 JDBCs.

Terry

We recently migrated from Oracle to SQL server on XE. We had issues with users timing out, outside of our firewall. The network folks found a Symantic path which fixes the following issues:

Patch Info:

Included modules with fix descriptions:

Corrects the following issues when IDS is enabled. IDS is Intrusion Detection analyzes packets for suspicious traffic.

Symptoms:

- "killing stream" messages in logs when IDS enabled
- Fixed SQL times out if IDS enabled on inside interface
- Corrected http download random failure when IDS scanning is enable
- Fixed problems when going to Flash/shockwave sites when IDS is enabled
- Corrected Citrix connection dropping if IDS enabled on any interface
- Amended issues with Outlook Web Access when IDS is in use

I don't know if your issue are for users outside your firewall but I thought I would pass this information on.

Patty

Colin,

thanks for that, looks interesting will give it a try soon, if that fails then I may have to look at OAS (mmmm) although this is all staring to look like an Oracle conspiracy to get Microsoft SQL Server customers off of other products and onto Oracle...

Working on 4 other cusomer sites at the moment so may be a few days before I can try that new JDBC driver.

Colin,

your suggestions and the change of Driver appear to have made a difference. I am getting another 30% boost in return times from find and then scroll to end. This is giving me a 50% cut in waiting time between Xe WTS and E811 Web.

Have handed back to client to see if I have been testing it the same way they have!!

If this works out fine then I suppose the next step is to see if they are willing to pay for a license (using the 15 day evaluation license at the moment).

Great!

But don't thank me thank the list! (I will however put in an I.O.U. for a Guinness)

The other think I would try would be to make sure you're using IHS 2.0 (apache 2.0) with compression turned on AND caching (expires module).

Colin

Back