Upgrade from 8.96 to 8.98. Some questions

CNC Guy

Well Known Member
Folks,

We are currently on 8.11 SP1 (tools 8.96 D1) and are planning to upgrade to 8.98. We have a couple of concerns on that.

1) Heard that 8.98 has a lot of customers reporting a lot of issues and isn't a very stable tools yet. Is that correct. When was that released?

2) Is it advisable to move to a 8.97 tools?

3) A new component called Server Manager is introduced from 8.97 onwards? How will that impact out upgrade? heard that with server manager we can just intall the new tools and then rest server manager will take care? Can you throw some more light on that i.e. whether this tool has to be installed first and then tools?

Our configuration is 8.11 SP1 (tools 8.96 D1), Enterprise Servers (Unix Solaris 5.10 (sparc)) , Web server (OAS 10 g version 2 (10.1.2)

Some guides (navigation to them) will also be greatly appreciated.?

Finally within 8.97 or 8.98 which sub tools or SP is advisable?

Thanks,
CNC Guy
8.11 SP1, UNIX Solaris, OAS 5.0

Hi,

1. I've been working for an account running E812 8.98.0.6
on iSeries V6R1, it was pretty stable.

2. It depends, yesterday I tried to upgrade another
account from E810 8.97.2.6 to 8.97.3.0 and Server Manager
was unable to create the new Enterprise instance (which
later found was a known Server Manager "issue" on 8.97.3.0)

If I were you, I'd go with the latest Tools 8.98.1.x,
you'll smash quite a few bugs anyway.

3. Server Manager is another useless GUI-gadget which
gives little value other than adding new headaches to
our exhausting CNC life.

Enterprise and JAS Tools installs were done on a far
more reliable way by running the SETUP instructions
than by deploying via SM.

SM allows you to edit JDE.INI. so what??? Couldn't you
do it via Notepad, telnet or EDTF?

SM retrieves log files? Wow... Rocket science!

The most irritating attributes of SM :

a. Doesn't expose a command-line interface, it doesn't
provide a script language to stop/start interfaces
from an "SM .bat file" instead of clicking on the
fancy blue buttons.
b. Forces you to use SM to install or modify JDE
components like Enterprise Tools, JAS instances, etc.
c. It's Java based, so it's slow and prone to crashes

You'll need to download from Metasink3 the following
components :

1. Server Manager 898SMxx
2. Server Manager Update 898SUxx
3. Client Tools 898xx
4. Enterprise Tools 898Exx for Solaris
5. Java Tools 898Jxx
6. Download latest SM guide for Tools 898

I strongly recommend testing 898 on a MultiFoundation env.

Good luck!

Thanks Sebatian. I have some concerns though. There seems to be some ESU which need to be applied post the TS upgrade. Planner ESU , Tools Baseline ESU, the BV Fix ESU (16940) and the ASI ESU TLAPP001. Can they all be applied proior to the TS upgrade.

Also we are having our PROD and non prod on seperate unix boxes (so only system tables are shared). so can we do a TS upgrade from 896 to 897/898 for DV first and then do testing and then do for PD. will PD on 896 and DV on 897/898 work with the same system tables? This should since this is basically multifoundation. But I heard 897 onward tools don't work with 896?

Please assist. Also are there any specific harms in going to 897.3.0 instead of lets sat 8.98.1.0? I've seen so many issues in 8.98.1.2 , 1.3 and 1.4 lately on metalink that there are some doubts. even heard they are taking back 8.98.1.4 off the metalink due to issues.

finally, I've heard with 8.98 the MSDE is replaced by SSE. How do we do that upgrade?

Thanks,
CNC Guy
E1 8.11 SP1 ,
ES Sun Solaris
Web OAS
DB Oracle 10G

Hi,

This week-end, I tried to apply 89814 to an AIX 6.1 account
of mine, it failed because it couldn't find Microsoft
Visual Studio installed on the Enterprise Server (which
is obvious!) and had finally to rollback to 89720.

The account was on 894P1, so going to 89720 instead of
89814 wasn't so bad after all.

On the other hand, I had other accounts that run well
on 89806, so you should carefully test your Tools Release
on a sandbox environment before altering your "live"
servers.

I haven't tried to apply those ESUs BEFORE applying
the Tools upgrade, so I can't tell if they will work
or not.

Yes, you can have one server on 898/897 and the other
on 896. You just have to choose the proper foundation
when building your packages. Check also that your FATs
and Webs authenticate against an ES on the same
Tools level.

89730 has exactly the same 'Microsoft Visual Studio'
bug that latest 8981x releases have. However, I tried
89720 and worked flawlessly.

You don't need to upgrade your local MSDE databases
to SSE, I left mine as MSDE and they work 100% fine.

The less you alter, the better you'll sleep...

We went to 8.98.1.0 in PY. It was very buggy and lots of issues. We are currentluy testing 1.3 snd it is much more stable.

We just upgraded all our instances from 8.97.2.3 to 8.98.1.3.

We have run into two specific issues that will have to be addressed. There is an ESU for P09200 that causes no subledger data to pulled into the grid although there is definitely data there. We had to apply or reapply JK17005 in our case to get this to work again.

Another issue that may cause concerns depending on how fix current you are is with the "Web Only Versions" that go away with JK17733.

Another issue that has not been resolved yet is with the P98TMPL. You can not add new media object templates. Old ones can be used but not modified or new ones created. The workaround for this is to create them on a fat client.

Other than these issues, there are several Active X controls that need to be reinstalled and loaded on the user's workstations that cause issues if they don't have permission to load them or cancel the installations.

Thanks for your comments and the more I read the more I get worried to move to 898. It looks there are too many customers reporting the issues. The problem is how to convince the customer from not to move to 898 and move to 897 instead since they want to move to "latest release". Any pointers?

Also I heard that 8.98.2.0 is coming soon and will be a better release since that is a maintanence release as opposed to fix packs lik.e 8.98.1.1 .2 and .3? Any ideas?

@Sebastian, the SSE upgrade from MSDE as I am told is a part of TR 8.98 and with 8.97 it is not needed. Not sure which one are you referring to. Can you clarify?

Also did you then apply the ESU's after the TR upgrade. Which app release are you on?

Finally is there anybody here who is on 8.11 SP1 and moved to 897 or 898. Would like to have a first hand experience on the same.

Hi
Just moved from 8.96.2.2 to 8.98.1.4 on 8.11SP1...ran into issue and Oracle have brought out a hot fix 8.98.1.4.1 to address web client exceptiom with table I/O operations. Apart from that no ther issues so far....

Hi,

I have a couple of installations, one on E812/896F1 that
was upgraded to E812/89806 and another on E810/894P1 which
was upgraded to E810/89720; both were and are still
using MSDE local databases. Be aware that both accounts
have W2003 Deployment servers and WinXP FATs.

On the other hand, if your FATs are on Vista or your
Deployment is on W2008, you'll be forced to choose
SSE or an local Oracle database, MSDE doesn't run any
longer on Vista & W2008.

Thanks for the info. So did you apply any ESU's post the TR upgrade. I was in contact with Oracle and they are referring to about 5 ESU's that we need to apply post upgrade. So can you provide the details of the ones you did?

Also did you do a multifoundation with 8.96 before applying on PROD? We actually have seperate enterprise servers for prod and non-prod so it is like multifoundation but I heard that with 8.97 onwards there are some esu's (baseline esu which change the system tables data) and which aren't compatible with 896 so even with multifoundation it is a problem since all env will share the same system tables. Please let us know.

Finally, Are you having OAS or websphere? If OAS what version? We are currently on 10.1.2 and as per MTR we need to upgrade the OAS to 10.1.3.

@Sebastian-> I think we do not have plans to upgrade the Dep server (we are on 2003 server on Dep server and WinXP on clients) but for clients i think we are upgrading to Vista. So do we need to do the SSE upgrade from MSDE? Where do we get more info on this upgrade (how to do it, which all machines etc and can we do it post upgrade or pre upgrade)?

Thanks,
CNC Guy

Hi,

I applied the latest ESU Planner, somewhere in the ESU
Planner Special instructions you'll find a short reference
that suggests you to install a couple more of ESUs, one
is something like TLAPP001 and the others are regular ESUs.

I had no problem running 896 and 898 on multifoundation,
this Esu Planner creates new System tables and adds
extra DD records but hasn't erased or altered existing
System tables.

We're using WAS 6.1.0.15 on iSeries 6.1

If you want/need to use your local FAT client databases
on Windows Vista, then you'll have to upgrade to SSE,
otherwise stay on MSDE.

I'd say that best place to ask about local JDE databases
upgrades would be JDE Support site. Good luck...

We trying to go-live with 8.98.1.1 and 9.0. Some odd issues there with some batch jobs. But they don't recommend to upgrading to 8.98.1.2, 8.98.1.3 nor 8.98.1.4 as they have more issues... so we are kind of stuck for a while.

we went from 8.96 to 8.98.1.3 since we have had tremendous performance issues since the upgrade. We have users that get "stuck" in Processing. We have some users get a HTTP 400 pop-up error when clicking on a button in an interactive application. Has anyone else seen this or have any suggestions on getting around this?

The problem is with IE and not E1. There are registry hacks that must be done. Has to do with some DLL mix-up between IE6 and IE7+.

[ QUOTE ]
There are registry hacks that must be done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a link to an oracle document with what these registry changes are ?

Why yes I do...

E1: JAS: Any EnterpriseOne 8.12 Application gets Stuck in Processing [ID 654767.1]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Modified 24-JUN-2009 Type PROBLEM Status PUBLISHED

In this Document
Symptoms
Cause
Solution

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Applies to:
JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Tools - Version: 8.96 to 8.98 - Release: 8.96 to 8.98

Information in this document applies to any platform.

This document was previously published as Customer Connection Solution 201042032

Symptoms
SOLUTION ID: 201042032 E1: JAS: Any EnterpriseOne 8.12 application gets stuck in "processing"

Customer is running EnterpriseOne 8.12 TR 8.96.1.1 using Windows 2003 SP1 Enterprise & JAS servers and XP Pro SP2 for workstations with Internet Explorer 7. When opening any application it hangs in processing and never returns data from a FIND. Customer can open another application and it also gets stuck in processing. Customer tested the issue on workstations with IE 6 and was able to reproduce the same issue. As a test, customer tried Firefox and EnterpriseOne 8.12 works with no issue. Firefox is supported beginning Tools Release 8.98. Check our Minimum Technical Requirements (MTR) page for specific version and Tools Release levels.

Note 705409.1 JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Tools 8.9x Minimum Technical Requirements for Clients

Cause
Not Applicable
Solution
Nothing is reported in any of the JAS or Enterprise server logs for the applications stuck in processing. After running performance workbench on the debug logs, no delays were captured.

The issue is symptomatic of installing IE7 and then installing an older version of E1 system code, or uninstalling IE7 incompletely.

Had customer check the following registry key value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{EAB22AC0-30C1-11CF-A7EB-0000C05BAE0B}\1.1\0\win32\

If it is IE6, the value should be c:\windows\system32\shdocvw.dll - where c:\windows is the windows install directory.
If it is IE7, the value should be c:\windows\system32\ieframe.dll - where c:\windows is the windows install directory.

Prior to TR 8.96.1.0, the E1 client install will register shdocvw.dll which will set the registry to the IE6 value. Starting with TR 8.96.1.0, we no longer register this dll.

After changing the registry to use the IE7 ieframe.dll, EnterpriseOne 8.12 applications worked with no issues.

Reference:
Bug 8375392 IE 7 browser fails E1 client

There is another but I don't have time to look for it right now.

Thanks, we've done those changes requested in the doc. We also did the MaxConnectionSperServer change and MaxConnectionSper1_0SERVER changes as well. We did those changes right before we went live.

Are there any other thoughts?

There was an old HTML Client Performance Tips document, which I found out recently still has some relevant parts. According to Oracle Doc ID 660020.1, one possible solution to users receiving HTTP error 400, or having apps intermittently stuck "Prcoessing" is to "Create a brief time delay so that IE has enough time to verify whether the image is in the cache."

- Navigate to the Application Servers
- Click on the link for your JAS instance name
- Expand "Java and Process Management"
- Click on "Process Definition"
- Click on "Java Virtual Machine"
- In the field for "Generic JVM arguments" add the value
'-Dcom.peoplesoft.e1menu.ie.timeout="10"' (without the ' signs) to anything that may already be there

I know it's an old tip, but I have confirmed that this helped on a recent 8.98.1.2.1 installation (Windows 2003/WebSphere 6.1).

It sounds like the only other thing you haven't tried is to turn on the option to "Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections" in IE. This particular tip is only if you are using a proxy to access E1.

Forgot to add: save the change, generate the plug-in, and restart everything.

Back