Upgrade E1LOCAL Oracle Database (9.1)

peterbruce

peterbruce

Legendary Poster
JDEList.

Our DBA's want to upgrade the E1LOCAL Oracle Databases on our Fat Admin/Dev clients because of a TNSListener vulnerability. The current version is 11.2 and they want to upgrade to 12c. Has anyone upgraded the fat client databases before?

JDEList.

Our DBA's want to upgrade the E1LOCAL Oracle Databases on our Fat Admin/Dev clients because of a TNSListener vulnerability. The current version is 11.2 and they want to upgrade to 12c. Has anyone upgraded the fat client databases before?

Hi,

We have done multiple times !

For using the E1local 12c Database , your Tools Release should be 9.1.4.x and above.

You can refer the below documents

1. JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 9.1.4 Installing and Upgrading the Deployment Server and Development Client Using Oracle Database 12c as the Local Database (Doc ID 1956349.1)

2. JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 9.1.4 Manually Installing Oracle 12c as the Local Database (E1Local) (Doc ID 1956351.1)

For Standalone 9.1 with E1local Database 12c

JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 9.1.4 Using Oracle 12c as the Local Database Standalone (Doc ID 1956332.1)

Last edited:
We moved our 11.2 Local DB to 12c last month in preparation for out TR 9.2 upgrade. For the most part it was pretty smooth, provided you meet the required MTR's the only thing which is different is the use of a non-admin oracle user while installing the E1Local and Oracle client. You then need an admin account while installing the package otherwise your Local specs DB will not import (because the non-admin oracle user cannot write the logs to the folders). One of the ways of resolving that could be to add the oracle user to the Admin group before installing the package.

Secondly, while the documents listed above are helpful and will get the job done, if you check the "Manually Installing Oracle 12c as the Local Database (E1Local)" there are a lot of steps to be followed. I fund an easier way to get the E1Local DB install without going through the Manual steps. (And it's fun!)

Here is how you can install the E1Local.

1. Download the Disk4, Disk5 and Disk6 of the 9.2 Deployment server from e-delivery.
2. Disk5 and Disk6 would have the E1Local12c CAB files under ORACLE directory. Copy them over to the ORACLE directory under your OneWorldClient Install folder. I would essentially rename the existing Oracle directory create a new folder with these new CAB files(Disk4 has an important role to play too..I will come to that later)
3. Now edit the installManager.htm file and replace the OEESetup.exe to OEE12Setup.exe. This is to pick the new install exe file that you just copied.
4. Now go ahead and install the E1Local, like you do using the OUI Installer.
5. Like I said before, while installing it would ask you what oracle user it needs to use, either have it create a new user or give an existing user.

6. Once the E1Local install is done and the 12c client is installed; extract the disk4 and copy the bin32 folder from under System to your FAT client.
7. Launch ReConfigureDB.exe and change the E1Local password from Enhanced encryption to Legacy Encryption. I am sure you know the reason for this one.

And that's it your E1Local is ready for your 9.1.x tools release.

We moved our 11.2 Local DB to 12c last month in preparation for out TR 9.2 upgrade. For the most part it was pretty smooth, provided you meet the required MTR's the only thing which is different is the use of a non-admin oracle user while installing the E1Local and Oracle client. You then need an admin account while installing the package otherwise your Local specs DB will not import (because the non-admin oracle user cannot write the logs to the folders). One of the ways of resolving that could be to add the oracle user to the Admin group before installing the package.

Secondly, while the documents listed above are helpful and will get the job done, if you check the "Manually Installing Oracle 12c as the Local Database (E1Local)" there are a lot of steps to be followed. I fund an easier way to get the E1Local DB install without going through the Manual steps. (And it's fun!)

Here is how you can install the E1Local.

1. Download the Disk4, Disk5 and Disk6 of the 9.2 Deployment server from e-delivery.
2. Disk5 and Disk6 would have the E1Local12c CAB files under ORACLE directory. Copy them over to the ORACLE directory under your OneWorldClient Install folder. I would essentially rename the existing Oracle directory create a new folder with these new CAB files(Disk4 has an important role to play too..I will come to that later)
3. Now edit the installManager.htm file and replace the OEESetup.exe to OEE12Setup.exe. This is to pick the new install exe file that you just copied.
4. Now go ahead and install the E1Local, like you do using the OUI Installer.
5. Like I said before, while installing it would ask you what oracle user it needs to use, either have it create a new user or give an existing user.

6. Once the E1Local install is done and the 12c client is installed; extract the disk4 and copy the bin32 folder from under System to your FAT client.
7. Launch ReConfigureDB.exe and change the E1Local password from Enhanced encryption to Legacy Encryption. I am sure you know the reason for this one.

And that's it your E1Local is ready for your 9.1.x tools release.

Dear Soumen,

Yes , Its a good information. Even we have tried this method and able to install E1local 12c successfully using 9.2 Setup file.

Just a small correction,

Step 6 and Step 7 is not required, we can use the old exe ReconfigureMSDE.exe for change the E1Local password from Enhanced encryption to Legacy Encryption and also copy the bin32 of 9.2 to 9.1 system folder is risky.

There are many exe might be changed and newly introduced in 9.2 , this may leads to other issues.

Also Just a clarification on Admin user :

During the development client Installation or Deployment Server Client Installation , make sure that E1local user(E1dbuser) having the admin rights and use E1local user for Install the development client Installation or Deployment Server Client.

Once Installation done, we can remove the admin rights of E1local user. Its 9.1 Bug and fixed in 9.2.

Last edited:
We have an update - The upgrade for E1Local is now for 11.2.01 to 11.2.04. This upgrade needs to be done on the Deployment server as well as the fat/Dev/Admin clients.

A reminder, we are on E9.1 TR9.1.2.1

We have an update - The upgrade for E1Local is now for 11.2.01 to 11.2.04. This upgrade needs to be done on the Deployment server as well as the fat/Dev/Admin clients.

A reminder, we are on E9.1 TR9.1.2.1

We will request you to verify the certification before you start this upgrade.

JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Deployment Server 9.1.2.0 has certifications with Oracle Database 11.2.0.1.0.

Thanks JDEE1Tips,

I double checked the certifications for both the Deployment Sever and the Development Client for 9.1.2.0 and both are certified for only the 11.2.0.1 Oracle database. This is different for the Database Server for 9.2.1.0 which includes Oracle database 11.2.0.4.

Back