Unmanageable Business Unit Form Control

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Legendary Poster
Hi JDEList,

I recently detected some strange behaviour of MCU, as Form Control (at least on XE SP 15.1)

I have a custom find/browse form, where MCU is a filter field (equal + wild card).

1.) Depending the width of the characters entered into the field, I can not enter 12 characters into this field.

2.) When I enter the value via MCU's Visual Assist, characters are truncated on the left, which already does not fit into the control.

3.) When I disable MCU's *RAB formatting on the control, it still works as *RAB right adjusted and I also can not enter 12 characters, if they are wide enough.

4.) When I crazy way override formatting *RAB to *RAZ, then MCU formats only blank entry as *RAZ, any other as *RAB.

5.) In my desperation I tried to disable the Editing too, but it also didn't help.

6.) I placed an MCU DD item onto the form (not BSVW field, not a filter field) and repeated all steps - with same results.

Q1.) Why does not work Auto Horizontal Scrolling on MCU form control?
Q2.) Why can not be Disable/Override *RAB formatting?

I do not know the answers.
OK, I know, how to work around the issue - to fit largest value into this control: enlarging the control as long as to fit the larger "WWWWWWWWWWWW" entry in it.
I hate this solution and I am not sure, that it will bring the same result on different display resolution.

Does anybody know the reason of this strange behaviour or does anybody know the solution?

Is it SP level dependent?

Would be also very kind, if some of you reproduce this scenario and test it, and let us know the results - as well on SP 15.1 as on other SP levels.

Simply place an MCU onto the form, leaving its default control with and try to enter "123456789012" and/or "WWWWWWWWWWWWWW" ino it. e.g. "IIIIIIIIIIII" (12xI) can fit into it.

All of your advise, test will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Zoltán

Hi Zoltan,

I tried duplicating the problem, but could not.

Is it possible that the default length of 12 was actually changed by accident at the data dictionary level?

When I try to duplicate the problem, as soon as I drop the control on the screen, it is at a length of 12.

If it's not the data dictionary, then I'm just as confused as you are.

Good luck.

Regards,
Vince

Hi Vince,

Thanks for you assistance.

The MCU Data Item has its original 12 character length in the Data Dictonary (could be great trouble, if it has been changed accidentally).

The problem occures, when you run the form and you want to enter value to this field interactively.

Does it clarify my problem a bit?

Regards,

Zoltán

Hi Zoltan,

When you type in 123456789012 or WWWWWWWWWWWW, is it

(1) just running off the control, or it actually won't let you type up to the 12th character?

(2) If it doesn't let you type the full 12 characters, are there any whitespace left on the control? Or is it completely occupied by a character?

I can somewhat duplicate the problem by manually making the control's width smaller. When I do that, I can only enter as far as there is white space visible. Having said that, it sounds like your problem is just the control width isn't wide enough. In other words, I think it would be ok to widen it until it fits all 12 characters. Either way, it's gotta fit.

Good luck.

Regards,
Vince

I also did a test case. I took a form and added MCU twice. I made the entry field smaller on both of them and on one of them, I changed the Automatic Scroll View from None to Auto. The Auto field allowed me to enter all twelve characters while the non-Auto only allowed me to enter until the whitespace was full.

Althogh it worked - turning the Auto Scroll View - the display seemed to jump around.

Ben again,
E1V8.9SP2

Hi Vince,

Thanks for your reply.

Here are my answer:

(1) don't let me type up to the 12th character
(2) there are no whitespace left on the control, it is completely occupied by characters.

(3) As I already have written, I know that widenning the control to fit 12 "W" charachters solves the problem. I also wrote, that I don't like this solution. Do you ask why?

a.) The control will be very large and it can cause arrangement problems complex on form with a lot of controls.
b.) Most of our clients generally use shorter MCU codes which seems very strange on the right side of a wide field.
c.) At last but not least (I also have this written), I am not sure, that it will solve the problem on all display resolution. E.g. I make the control large enough to fit 12xW on 1024x768 resolution. Maybe, running the form by 8000x600 resolution the user won't be able to enter 12xW. OK, it is easy to check, but currently I am far from the system.

Thanks again.

Zoltán

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your test.

I have written in my original post:
"Q1.) Why does not work Auto Horizontal Scrolling on MCU form control?"

On our system, Horizontal Scrolling for MCU is set to Auto by default on our system.

I suspect, it is a Version and/or SP level dependent issue.
When I will have access again to the system, I will try:

a.) to test it on SP21 (or SP22 ???)
b.) turn ON and OFF Auto Horizontal Scrolling (I don't know, that I have done it already)

I will let you know the results.

By the way, Auto Horizontal Scrolling works fine on other DD item, e.g. on DSC1.

Just an other question:
Were you able to disable MCU's *RAB default Display Rule on the form control? On our system, I wasn't able to do this.

Thanks again,

Zoltán

Zoltàn, (sorry couldn't find the accent ague)

On my system "Auto Horizontal Scrolling" is different than "Automatic Scroll View". Our "Auto Horizontal Scrolling" is also set to Auto, but our "Automatic Scroll View" is set to None.

Just thought I would mention it.........
Ben again,

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your update.

Where can you set "Automatic Scroll View" feature.
I haven't this on the Properties sheet neither of control nor of form (SP 15.1).

Regards,

Zoltán

I don't have this either and we're on SP 18.1

If Ben sees this and we don't, then this must be a feature of middleware that was implemented by a later SP.

Regards, Vince

I didn't include my versions on the latest post but did on my initial post. I am on EnterpriseOne version 8.9. This is newer than XE. I do hope it's a middleware thingy anyway.

Ben again
E1V8.9SP2

Well that explains why you have access to other properties that Xe doesn't.

So going back to Zoltan's problem, here's an off-the-wall idea that will get it to scroll. Simply set the form control to multi-line. I tried it with a very small field (enough whitespace for 5 characters). But when I type past 5 characters, it begins to scroll.

Regards,

Vince

-------------------------------
Vincent Liu
Business Consultant
Contax Inc.
T: 416-453-4480
http://www.contax.com

Back