UBE Performance

tboat00

tboat00

Well Known Member
We are running A73/cum13 and XE in coexistence preparing to go live in january. However, we are experiencing horrendous UBE performance problems. A converted FASTR report that ran 7 minutes in World, now runs 60 minutes in OneWorld. We are running on a 4-way 720 with 4gb of memory and the job has no other batch contention - still 60 minutes. Does anyone have any ideas that I might be able to look at to try to overcome this issue? I will be turning to the SAW and perfomance workbench to try to get to the bottom of this, but I hope this isn'g going to be the norm.

I am not familiar with World, but my first thoughts would be that the indexes for OneWorld are very different from World. You can run dbmon, or simply monitor the ODBC thread serving FASTR (a reporting tool I presume?). Check the open files for the job and look for index builds and *QUERY's. This will indicate that proper indexes are not available and hash tables and temporary indexes are being built.

In general, a tuned query on a OneWorld database should be faster. World uses logicals (data stored in 4K pages) while OneWorld uses indexes (data stored in 64K pages).

As far as UBE go, you can check the same information through the UBE job as opposed to ODBC threads. Although, typically out of the box UBE's are built to run using standard OneWorld indexes. As long the pre-defined OneWorld indexes are built, I typically don't have a problem with UBE's.

Good Luck.

Ryan Hunt

It is a custom financial report. A FASTR report with row definitions converted using RDA. This issue is not report specific as most I/O intensive programs run badly.

tboat00,

Have you benchmarked your AS400? You mentioned that all IO intensive processes are running poorly...

Check:
Memory Faulting: machine and base have very different limits on page faults per second.
CPU Utilization (or CPW as percentage of total)
--very important for I/O - what is the percent busy of your DASD?? In green screen run WRKDSKSTS and monitor your DASD in 15 minute invervals. If you are averaging over 20 or 25 percent for a full 15 minute average, that will be an issue.

Try to provide some benchmarks info and DB config info in your post...

Good Luck.

Ryan Hunt

Back