Tools Upgrade from 9.1.0.5 to 9.1.4.4

Alan2011

Hello all list,
We have experienced a lot issues lately after about 6 months post go-live where scheduler and E1 servers will crash for no reason and we get a lot SQL processes blocking by another processes. After going through logs and submitting all those log files to Oracle their feedback is that the whole problems are known issues in our current version release that. They are advising to do tools upgrade to get rid of all these issues. We originally had plan to upgrade next year since we have only past less than six months go-live but this is so problematic that enforced us to put tools upgrade in first priority.
I am sure a lot of you have past through these process or perhaps experienced the same problems and would like to ask your experience in regards to the whole process as well as your comment if there are going to be a lot changes that might need to taken into consideration.

I will really be appreciated your comments about:
a- Major changes (impacts)from 9.1.0.5 to 9.1.4.4
b- Important technical upgrade instructions as I have never been engaged in Tools upgrade.
c- Any documents and instructions of "How To Upgrade"

Thanks again.
Alan
CNC administrator

Application release: 9.0
Tools Release: 9.1.0.5
Database: SQL 2008 R2
Application server: Oracle Weblogic
Client OS: Microsoft Windows 7

Infrastructure:
Batch server load balance in F5
- Batche server 1
- Batch server 2

Logic servers load balance in f5
- Logical server 1
- Logical server 2

Database:
- SQL Enterprise edition in cluster fail-over of node a and node b.

Hi. We upgraded from 9.1.0.x to 9.1.4.3 last month.

Some of the major changes are:
1. changes to OneView
2. UDC are now drop down list
There are no visual assist, instead it's a drop down list.
3. changes to RDA and FDA to make development easier
The IF and ENDIF are highlighted.

There's a document on Oracle website which will list the changes.

By the way CHo, do you guys have any Oracle How to... document for Tools Upgrade?

Thanks again,
Alan

[ QUOTE ]
2. UDC are now drop down list
There are no visual assist, instead it's a drop down list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are there any options on this? This may be good for a lot of things, but there may some applications where there are a large number of values in a UDC list and a drop down might actually be MUCH less productive... to the point of unusable in some cases.

Absolutely. Use the Runtime Feature Authorizations app (P958974) to control whether the UDC dropdowns are activated. Note you can activate/deactivate by environment, user/role, application and form. We tried it initially (by default it was one), but decided to turn it off. It was too distracting.

Large lists of UDCs is actually the power of the drop down, in my opinion. All you need to do is type part of the description into the UDC field (without clicking the arrow) and it will pull back the relevant UDCs immediately. For example, on P01012 we have several types of distributors in customer types. When I type *dist in the QBE, it pulls back all the codes that have dist in the description.

However, if that is not useful in some situations, there also is a search link at the bottom of the dropdown window which will open the typical 'flashlight' UDC form.

I think this gives maximum flexibility since the old form is still there if needed in some situations.

Jer

We are testing UDC Drop-down, but I'm not sure about our user reaction (they really haven't started using it yet). I'm getting more used to it, but I think the one thing that is confusing about it is if there is already a value in the UDC, and the user wants to change it. Because of the Auto Suggest functionality, it only shows the relevant records based on the current value, so the user needs to clear the current value to see all options.

I also activated all Change Confirmation, but a word of warning with this on the OK - there are some objects/forms where you need to click OK without making any changes - P986162, W04572A, W04572B are some of them - so these need to be excluded. The good news is with 9.1.4.4 (I think maybe originally with 9.1.4.3) *PUBLIC for specific objects/forms overrides *PUBLIC *ALL, so you can set up the exceptions that way. We have also found that in the P051121 after you save your entry, the application doesn't close - it just clears the data - so then when you go to close it, you get prompted for the Change Confirmation. Oracle has duplicated it, but haven't created a Bug yet.

Testing 9.1.4.4 currently...

[ QUOTE ]
Large lists of UDCs is actually the power of the drop down, in my opinion. All you need to do is type part of the description into the UDC field (without clicking the arrow) and it will pull back the relevant UDCs immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Provided you know what to type. I think drop downs are generally a good thing, just not sure if a global approach to changing all of them is a good idea. It's nice to hear that there are options.

Sorry guys if am changing the subject again. There is another question from those who upgraded, what is supported IE version?

Tools 9.1.4.4 supports from IE 8 up to IE 11. Oracle has finally caught up with the current IE version. Must be about time for a new IE version, eh?

Sorry. I don't have any documents. The 9.1.4.3 tools upgrade was done by consulting firm.

Thank you all for your inputs. By the way Don, it seems like you are in a process of upgrade as well as I am seeing Test TR 9.1.4.4. Have you guys found any change/ reverse impact in your testing process?

I just put the word out to our ERP committee a few hours ago to restart their testing. I should have feedback within the next week or two.

There was a bug introducted in 9.1.4.0 which is not fixed until 9.1.4.5. When you go into Work With Submitted Jobs, there are menu options which shows as [Empty].

Bug 18421549 : ROW EXIT OPTIONS IN SUBMITTED REPORTS APPLICATION SHOWING AS [EMPTY] AFTER TOOLS.

Just reporting in that our Tools Release upgrade from 9.1.0.2 to 9.1.4.4 over this past weekend has been completed. There were a few bumps along the way, but all is working now.

Our biggest issue is end users having to delete temporary internet files in their browser, or having to press F5 to refresh their screen.

Back