To B32294-10 or Not To B32294-10? (Y or N to Install Oracle Configuration Manager 10.3.2)

Terry DeMoure

Terry DeMoure

VIP Member
To B32294-10 or Not To B32294-10? (Y or N to Install Oracle Configuration Manager 10.3.2)

To B32294-10 or Not To B32294-10? That is the question.

Over the last several months, I have had the opportunity of participating in numerous medium to high level presentations on My Oracle Support, including an excellent education session that I had arranged for our SCUG (Southern California RUG) March Membership meeting facilitated by Oracle Global Support. Even as far back as a couple webinars in early 2009 and programs I attended at Quest West, I could see how installing and implementing Oracle Configuration Manager 10.3.2 would significantly enhance our interoperability with My Oracle Support. I opened an internal Help Desk Work Order to have one of my coworkers in Information Systems administer the installation. He experienced a couple problems during the process and then everything was stopped dead in its tracks by the head of our department. Apparently there was a small misconception that Configuration Manager was installed to local machines as opposed to it being a server installation. Upon learning that, our boss decided to suspend the installation until further notice.

Before I continue, please be aware that I am a Functional Business Analyst with limited technical expertise. Anyway, I decided to open a new discussion with poll to see what all of you, as my business contemporaries out there, think about Configuration Manager. I want to know if there companies out there that have it installed and actively using? Has its implementation had an impact on the processing of your Oracle Service Requests, positively or negatively, with the introduction of Priority Handling of SR submissions with attached configurations? Was there any initial (or current) apprehension on whether to install Configuration Manager? If so, how was it overcome?

If I am to garner the support of my superiors to go ahead and proceed with the installation of Configuration Manager 10.3.2 on our server, I will need to take what I learn in this forum discussion, add in additional information that I will pick up at Collaborate 10 next week, and build my business case to move forward.

Please let me thank you in advance for your participation in this forum discussion and poll.

Also please note I am also attaching the B32294-10 Installation Guide for Configuration Manager 10.3.2 for those you might like to have a copy. On the other hand, I have experienced difficulties on a few occasions with uploading files to JDEList discussions, so if you do not see the file, please email me and I will send the PDF file right back to you.

Attachments

• 157578-b32294.zip
    485.6 KB · Views: 108
Re: To B32294-10 or Not To B32294-10? (Y or N to Install Oracle Configuration Manager 10.3.2)

None of my clients are using this, and I don't know of any that have been asked to use it. Frankly, I'm not sure what it will be gathering, that we haven't already been asked to provide with any normal support call (INI files, debug logs, Tools Release info, platform info, etc.).

Since it is installed via Server Manager, the end point should be a server, so you can assuage your boss's fears on that score.

This product could be seen in a sinister light, given what was brought up in this thread (link).
smile.gif

Re: To B32294-10 or Not To B32294-10? (Y or N to Install Oracle Configuration Manager 10.3.2)

[ QUOTE ]
To B32294-10 or Not To B32294-10? That is the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a sales pitch for OCM (I know, acronym conflict in the E1 ecosphere) and here are my notes:

- I suggested a manifest of information intended to be collected and a report after the collection of exactly what was collected to allow the customer to control.

- Reporting of what was collected would be a step in the right direction.

- Financial and HR personnel are not likely to approve the release of information.

- Complete and total transparency will involve access to the raw data being sent to Oracle.

- I believe that until complete and total transparency is given, customer adoption of the tool will continue to be low.

I made the point, very strongly, that Oracle needs to go above and beyond the normal marketing to assuage fears about this product in order to even get people to start thinking about using it.

I think it's gonna be a tough sell. "We're from Oracle and we're here to help." is not gonna cut it.

Jeff - you're BANG on here.

Who the font whould open up the door to info going to a large multi-national company when you don't know what is being sent?

Yeah I know we do it for some other companies like Microsoft but this is data we're talking about and Oracle understands where your data is.

I say make it just like Support Assistant where I can see what is being sent and when it is sent.

I really like the touch when you enter a support call and it says "Are you sure you want to enter this call without a selected configuration"? Seriously go jump in a lake people and where is the button to disable this annoying message?

I like the overall "idea" of what they are trying to do - pro-active issue resolution. All they need to do is be transparent on what is sent.

Colin

Frankly - how many companies 'really' have multiple configurations (Ok, most of those that I've worked with).... Usually it is near-duplicates of the same configuration.

Generally speaking - "Shouldn't" BORGacle already know the client's configuration when they identify your support login with the organization? If I log in with a client-assigned support account, then BORG had better know what the client's support agreements are and should give me an option of which configuration I want to submit the issue with. Why play the game of Twenty-Options????

Asking Joe and Jane Users (no offense intended) their configuration... that's like asking ma-bell which laptop is on Qwest's network... The probability is an answer of either Dell, HP, ACER, IBM, Lenovo .... you get the picture....

The Support Organization SHOULD KNOW THE CONFIGURATION - and not have to Tap Into their client's structure and do the sniffing around.

Ok - I'll go back and wrap on another keyboard for a while...

It is becoming evident that there are still a number of concerns on these issues here within in the user community.
wink.gif
We will need to continue have these discussions and monitor this issue as it grows.

I also agree with Colin that the direction Oracle seems to be pointed appears to be a good one. The Global Support representative that presented at our March SCUG meeting also told us that it is in their plans to eventually take the functionality of Configuration Manager, sometime in the future, even further to a point where users could even initiate SR's directly from the troubled application within EnterpriseOne or World. As Business Systems Analyst, I find that goal very innovative and evidence of Oracle Global Support striving for offering World Class customer service for their customers.

I will be meeting more with the individuals from the development team with Oracle Global Support, some of whom actually created My Oracle Support website as we have them slated (at their offering) for two more SCUG meetings in June and October of this year.

[ QUOTE ]
I like the overall "idea" of what they are trying to do - pro-active issue resolution. All they need to do is be transparent on what is sent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back