Title Changes

Larry_Jones

Larry_Jones

Legendary Poster
Eric / Support,

would you please change the title "Enthusiast" to "Sr. Member" or some such thing? And maybe from "addict" to "guru"?

I really don't want my boss to think I live on the forum (even if I do spend too much time here). /w3timages/icons/wink.gif

Thx!

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld B733.1, SP 11.3
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
SandBox: OneWorld XE SP15

Eric, Larry

I agree with Larry, mainly on "boss" issue. /w3timages/icons/grin.gif
I am afraid in advance /w3timages/icons/crazy.gif what will be the title after 800 post if I will ever get it. I do not dare to give a tip (mainly after "addict") /w3timages/icons/wink.gif

Regards,
<font color=yellow>Zoltán</font color=yellow>

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

To all on list: I have had a problem w/ the titles since very early on, and have had at least 2 discussions w/ Eric on this issue. Would you be interested in this idea: we supply our own titles (with Eric having the right to censor inappropriate ones, if necessary)? For example, I have 15+ years of World Financials experience, but have not done numerous posts, because so many questions regard Mfg & Dist. and because the majority of my experience is on a very old release (A3.1). I personally feel insulted as 'stranger' or 'newbie' due to my experience. I do realize we can put in our own signatures, but the titles are more prominent on the Web forum. This way, one could choose to be known as a JDE Newbie or, whatever he/she thinks is appropriate. This title thing has really been bugging me, because I don't find it fair to be based on # of posts, which only encourages some folks to keep posting nonsense just to increase the # of their posts. Or, would it just be better to exclude the titles altogether? Thank you for serious replies to this post. Eric, sorry for being so relentless on this, but as you can tell, it really does bug me! Is it possible to allow a vote on this issue for those of us who are registered members?

Kind regards,

Sally White
SJSoftware, LLC

No problem. Here are the titles. How should the titled be changed?

0 messages - Stranger
25 messages - Newbie
50 messages - Journeyman
100 messages - Member
200 messages - Enthusiast
400 messages - Addict
700 messages - Old hand
1200 messages - Veteran
1600 messages - Pooh-Bah
2500 messages - Carpal Tunnel

Place your system configuration information in your signature!

Sally,

sorry I but I disagree.

I believe the titles should reflect experience as evidenced by relevant and accurate posts. /w3timages/icons/spook.gif

The current automatic assignment method based on posts is an attempt to rate poster's relevant knowledge and accuracy. Someone who made a number of in-accurate posts would soon be shut up by peer pressure / embarassment. Those such as Zoltan who have posted a large number of useful answers are people that the titles system designate as trustworthy - or the group would have shut him up. If titles were self assigned I would be uncomfortable taking advice from someone whose title is 'JDE Jedi Master' for instance.

regards,

Larry Jones
[email protected][/Email"]]<A HREF="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected][/url]][email protected]"][email protected][/url]</A>
OneWorld B733.1, SP 11.3
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
SandBox: OneWorld XE SP15<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Larry_Jones on 5/7/01 11:40 AM.</FONT></P>

0 - 24 Stranger
25 - 49 - Newbie
50 - 99 - Journeyman
100 - 399 - Member
400 - 999 - Senior Member
1000+ - Guru

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld B733.1, SP 11.3
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6

I realize I'm just a "Stranger" on the Forum and that some titles are a bit "cutesy"; however, I also appreciate the humor of such titles as "Addict"/w3timages/icons/yikes.gif or "Pooh-Bah". I'm not offended at being a "Stranger" /w3timages/icons/alien.gif so keep the titles as they are. For all you "Retentive" boss types out there, "Get a Life", OW is aggravating enough without the criticism over our number of posts. I'll eventually work my way up the ladder. Until then I'll continue to read more threads than I post.

Thanks for being there./w3timages/icons/smile.gif

Walt Sellers
Heil Environmental Industries, Ltd.
OW B733.2 SP10, Citrix, Windows NT TS2000, Oracle 8.1.6

Could anybody have a problem with persons asking for help on every single day, therefore promoting from Stranger to, say, Member? JDEList's only reason to be ... is just asking for / offering help.
If I look for help AND I learn the answer, I am not that Stranger anymore, am I?

And when referring to the post's quality ... it just does not have anything to do with the title.

IMHO ... he he ... NO CHANGE NEEDED!

Just keep on posting people; and your title would be Generous, for all!

LIVE: B732.1 SP12.2, Oracle 806
SANDBOX: Xe SP15 & Update1, Oracle 8i
RS/6000, Citrix

Larry:

I agree that self-assigned titles just ask for smart-alecks to abuse or misuse them. I like your suggested changes to titles.

Regards,
Sally White
15+ yrs JDE Financials programming
V4R5/A7.3c10

Eric, Listers

Would somebody please describe (translate ;-), explain what does it mean "Pooh-pah" and "Carpal Tunnel", and if "Old hand" has also a 'special' meaning different from word to word translation then this one too.
... OR ...
Could be better to place an explanatory dictionary onto the Forum containing slangs, acronyms (e.g. FWIW), etc.?
... OR ...
Can somebody point some links where I can translate it for myself and other non-English Listers who's English is also not so good like mine?

Thanks,
Zoltán
P.S.: I (very) like humor but mainly when I also understand it /w3timages/icons/cool.gif

Zoltan

A "Pooh-Bah" is described as "A pompous, ostentatious official, especially one who, holding many offices, fulfills none of them." May also be called "Grand Pooh-Bah". This reference was used alot in the "Flinstones" carton.

"Carpal Tunnel" also known as carpal tunnel syndrome n a disorder caused by compression of a nerve in the carpal tunnel (where the nerve passes through the wrist); characterized by discomfort and weakness in the hand. May be caused by typing to much on a keyboard.

"Old Hand" One who is experienced; a veteran:

These are all american slang terms used frequently in the states but I am guessing not much out of the states. (I don't get out of the states much) Hopefully after reading this you can enjoy a laugh with all the listers from the United States

Chad Anderson
Generac Portable Products
B733.1 SP 7.1
AS400 DB2 Ent
NT SQL 7.0 Dep
Citrix M1.8 on NT 4.0 TSE

Zoltán,
Allow me to add some Internet Search results to Chad's very practical introduction:
1 - The Mikado, or The Town of Titipu (March 14, 1885; Savoy Theatre; 672 performances) Opera Japanese.
Ko-Ko, a cheap tailor, becomes the Lord High Executioner for Titipu, while Pooh-Bah is Lord High Everything Else. Nanki-Poo, the Mikado's son, wants to marry Yum-Yum, Ko-Ko's ward. The situation gets complicated when Ko-Ko executes Nanki-Poo. The most popular Gilbert & Sullivan Opera, and perhaps the most popular opera ever.
2 - Long hours spent using a mouse (sic!) can lead to permanently debilitating injury of the wrists, such as carpal tunnel syndrome or tendonitis. See http://www.mousetool.com/" target="_blank">http://www.mousetool.com/</A>
One is glad to be of help.
PS My favourite is: "Every decent person knows Beethoven was a dog; a Saint Bernard movie star."

LIVE: B732.1 SP12.2, Oracle 806
SANDBOX: Xe SP15 & Update1, Oracle 8i
RS/6000, Citrix

Chad,
Thanks your clarification. I suppose, it was interesting not just for me.
Now, it is almost clear the meanings of Pooh-bah and Carpal Tunnel for me. So, I will never want to be promoted to "Pooh-bah" or "Carpal Tunnel". If I will ever be close to it (it is so far now) instead of I will come back here with a new user ID as stranger.

As I mentioned earlier I like humor but these titles don't seem too humorous for me, mainly when somebody reach these degree mainly with posts containing some help, some hint and/or some support or some information instead of off-topic or junk mails.

I am very curious to the other's oppinion too.

Maybe my Amarican humor sense is not enough highly advanced? (... not like my Hungarian /w3timages/icons/laugh.gif)

Regards,
Zoltán

Eric,

have you received enough feedback on this yet? I think the U.S. slangs in particular need to go.

Thx,
Larry

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld B733.1, SP 11.3
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6

Eric,
Could you replace "Old hand" to "Old Firehand", as the name one hero of Karl May who were a popular German Wild Western novel author and who never have been in America (and outside of Germany).
/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif
Zoltán
P.S.: Have you ever heard about Winnetou?/w3timages/icons/grin.gif

How about

0 - New
25 - Worker
50 - Journeyman
100 - Member
400 - Senior Member
1000 - Guru
2500 - Legend

Place your system configuration information in your signature!

Zoltan,
I like the "Old Firehand"... it an american slang for being a old time firefighter /w3timages/icons/dragon.gif... which I happen to be.

Chad Anderson
Generac Portable Products
B733.1 SP 7.1
AS400 DB2 Ent
NT SQL 7.0 Dep
Citrix M1.8 on NT 4.0 TSE<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Chad_Anderson on 5/10/01 02:27 PM.</FONT></P>

Here's a radical idea: do away w/ the titles altogether, and remove the controversy, the language issue, and the lure of over-posting for the sake of title advancement.

Regards,
Sally White
15+ yrs JDE Financials programming
V4R5/A7.3c10

Eric,

Not bad.
But why would you like to decrease the number of titles and increase the ranges?

Zoltán

Back