Third Party Inventory and E1?

ssolberg

VIP Member
This might sound crazy but thought I would run it by the group to see if anyone has ideas on this or tackled such a process.

We buy/inventory/sell parts for big machines. We buy these parts from "the manufacturer" then sell to customers. Recently it has come up that there is a "third party vendor" that we also could be buying these parts from. We have all the part numbers setup in E1 as expected. We have about 12 "branches" that each have inventory so (for example) if we don't have Part X on hand, we can easily see if other branches have it (check price and avail in E1) in stock before we buy it from the Mfg and often transfer stock between the branches in order to fill orders as needed.

What they want to do is "store" the third party inventory quantities in E1 but they will NOT be selling that inventory. They just want to "see" that the third party has this inventory (like we see for our branches). They want to maintain NO cost on these items. These quantities are "static" but they get an updated inventory list each month that they would want to then "upload/update" into E1.

Initially, I thought about setting up a new Warehouse and "somehow" getting the quantities into E1 by part and make sure no Price or Cost record is reflected. The first hurdle would be "setting up all the part numbers at the new warehouse level" (F4102/F41021 records) because there is 145,000 part numbers. Second test would be a custom app to "upload" the quantities into those parts/warehouse.

I can think of plenty of other gotcha's so I'm just not comfortable with anything I can think of at this point. Has anyone ever set something like this up? Part of me is thinking that it might be best served possibly by setting up a custom table to upload this info into and having a button on Check Price and Avail that would simply go lookup the part in the custom table and return anything it finds. I keep thinking they might want to do this with other third party suppliers in the future and this would solve that as well.

If the third party supports web services, you should be able to do a real time lookup to check inventory quantities. If not, (based on the info you provided), creating a custom table storing/updating the quantities there is probably the best approach.

Thanks for the response. I'll be asking them about a web service but I highly doubt they have that capability (we actually do this with another vendor for a different but similar purpose). So likely will be headed down the custom table/inquiry path at some point.

Hurdle #1 - Item duplication: Would R41826 work for you? You can set the processing options so that the cost and price files do not copy. You can use the F4105Z1 to create cost records with 0 cost if necessary.

Hurdle #2 - entering inventory: Importing from Excel to an Inventory Adjust grid? SQL to F4141Z1 Cycle Count Z file upload?

Hi,

I guess Item Cost is not a big issue: need to define a dedicated
Branch/Plant for which you switch off G/L interfacing in Branch/Plant
constants.

We=92ve used this also for Consignment Stock for example

Kind regards,

Andre Jille

Back