Terminal Server Disconnects

JoshP

I've run into a nagging problem with a Windows 2000 TSE disconnect on a few clients that I can't figure out. For the past several months 3 RDC clients will randomly get disconnected from the terminal server during an active session. I've verified these sessions are to stay alive in Active Directory and had our network admin ensure their ethernet connection was good. I'm not sure what else to check?

I've tried recreating each user's local profile. I've tried having these users connect to a separate terminal server with a little success. They just didn't get disconnected as often. I've tried rebuilding the terminal server, OS format and all. There are a few other things I've tried but with no success.

These clients are using Windows XP with the latest RDC client. The maximum number of RDC connections I've witnessed after the recent server rebuild was 5 users. It's pretty easy to tell who has been randomly disconnected because they will show multiple sessions in Windows Terminal Server manager with one session active for hours and a fresh one with minutes.

Attached is the error message the clients receive when they get disconnected.

Has anyone run into this problem?

Hi,

Have you checked how many Terminal Server client licences you got?

Yes, the domain controller shows a total of - "Unlimited"
From what I understand, Microsoft provides 1 CAL for terminal services with each Windows XP purchase.

Even though their network connections are OK, has anyone measured the latency to those PCs? That is the usual cause of random disconnects. A key symptom of this is that you say the disconnected sessions still show as Active, rather than Disconnected.

Preferrably, the users would reconnect to their disconnected session when they try to log in again, but since they seem to start a new session, the old one must be showing as Active.

You can tweak Windows 2000 (TCP keep alive) to better recognize when sessions are disconnected and flag them as such. That should help a little bit.

Back