TC Import Sub-Foldering

DBohner-(db)

Legendary Poster
As Zoltan will, probably, comment - the prescribe means of practice for working with folder/location changes and Table Conversions - is to use a UBE as a Wrapper (move the flat-file in/out of the Import / Export Folder) and call the TC Before / After....

For those that are unfamiliar with TC(s), if you do not define a location, the TC will always Read from the Environment\import or Write to the Environment\export folders. This allows the TC to be promoted without any location definition and to always use the environment's import/export folders.

That said, I've been told that a character or symbolic gesture can be placed in front of the defined file location. I've played around - and can't find the character or symbolic gesture that should map the TC to an \import or \export sub-folder.

Ideally, I'm looking to dynamically place filename.txt at:
environment\import\HR\filename.txt

I had thought to use ..\filename.txt or .\filename.txt as the file name - and neither works on a Windows Developer Client.

Anyone know the hack that is 'supposed to work'?

(db)

I think you have spent too much time on that darn 400.
grin.gif

I don't know about the 400 but windows doesn't know anything about symbolic gestures or any kind or manners at all.

All paths in windows will be relative to the current path. If you don't specify a letter drive or UNC path that starts with "\\ServerName\" then the file path remain relative to the import or export folders. Just putting in a path like "\HR\filename.txt" should put the file where you want it, providing the HR folder exists in the import folder. If that doesn't work try "HR\filename.txt". Let me know how that works.

I have a few symbolic gestures for table conversions ...
(use your imagination)

Ok,

I've tried all the following, locally:
R55TEST01 - Benefitsimport.csv
R55TEST02 - hr\Benefitsimport.csv
R55TEST03 - \hr\Benefitsimport.csv
R55TEST04 - .\hr\Benefitsimport.csv
R55TEST05 - ..\hr\Benefitsimport.csv
R55TEST06 - import\hr\Benefitsimport.csv
R55TEST07 - \import\hr\Benefitsimport.csv
R55TEST08 - .\import\hr\Benefitsimport.csv
R55TEST09 - ..\import\hr\Benefitsimport.csv
R55TEST10 - /server/jdedwards/e900/DV900/import/Benefitsimport.csv

The only one that works on the local client is the R55TEST01... sort of what I expected.

Now, gonna submit them to the server.... and see if the folder/prefix has any affect on AIX/Unix...

The 'Theory' is, if an alias is created - we could place the alias in front of the file-name, and use that alias. I'm not a Unix-Hound, so that's a bit out of my zone. Any of you Unix Dogs have any suggestions to play?

(db)

Ok, new thought.

On Unix Systems (AIX, for example) can a Symbolic Link be used for the file location within a Table Conversion.

ln -s /server/jde/import/hr /hr

Then, within the TC, map the flat file as /hr/filename.txt

I realize, whatever system profile is running the system would have to create the Symbolic Link on start-up....

I haven't tried, yet.

Thoughts, anyone?

(db)

I"m too lazy to look, but try the 'double backslash' syntax (e.g. '\\') to indicate the directories.

Ugh, I had completely forgotten that. More testing to continue...

Thanks D!

Back