Table Convertors - User Defined Fields

tombrown

Hi List,

I am having trouble importing a CSV file using a table convertor. The fields in my file are of variable length, for example I may get

tom,12345,needs,help

or

paul,123,does,not

when defining the layout of my csv file within the table convertor tool, I name the 4 fields in order, but am also asked to specify the length of the fields. If I define the second field as 5 long, it will be assigned a value of 123,d for the second record.

Anyone come across this and found a way round? I must be doing something wrong - or going mad.

TIA

Tom Brown

OneWorld 733, Oracle, NT Servers

Tom Brown,
Try using delimited fields (indicated by the comma separator). Or
perhaps you could pad each field (RPAD, LPAD) which would give you a set
length for each field. These will both work for Oracle.

Lisa G. Stinebuck
Senior Service Delivery Technician
Logical eBoc
US Logical
311 Elm Street, Suite 150
Cincinnati, OH 45202
(513) 412-3400 Office
(513)378-2832 Cell
[email protected]
www.us.logical.com <http://www.us.logical.com/>

I know this sounds obvious and I feel a little silly suggesting it, but I have overlooked the obvious more times than I care to mention so:
It sounds like you have picked fixed-width as the format type as opposed to delimited. When you edit a column property in your user defined format can you edit the start field?
Also if you are not using textual qualifiers make sure this is selected when you set up the format.

Tim Rathjen
B7332 SP16 Oracle 8.1.6 Intel/NT

Thanks,

and please do not feel silly suggesting answers, this is one of those problems which will have a silly solution!

I have got further with it. I have textual qualifiers set to double quotes, but only some of my fields have double quotes. I am certain this is the problem now.

So now I have the question of how to save an .xls file as .csv including double quotes around every field? EXCEL only seems to add double quotes when there is some reason to - such as a comma in the text.

Can anyone help with this new question?

TIA

Tom Brown

Talk about a clunky work around but:
You can link to the spreadsheet in MS Access and do the export from there.

Tim Rathjen
B7332 SP16 Oracle 8.1.6 Intel/NT

Nice idea but I have to do it using CSV files for another reason that I won't bore you with!!!

Cheers

Tom

Hi Tom,

We are doing the same thing here, again for reasons unknown going through CSV
files..

I have included a header record in my CSV file which matches the file
definition on JDE, IE the F0101Z2. The table convertor then uses this without a
problem

Hope this helps

Marco

Quoting tombrown <[email protected]>:

Cat=&Board=OWDEV&Number=24133