having two enterprise servers in different areas of the globe and having the
data replicated and synchronized so that this configuration will look like
one company. Is this possible? If you are doing this type of a setup, what
platform are you running and how are you handling the replication of the
databases? What about next numbers? If this is not possible, what types of
issues prevent this from happening?

Thank you

don't

that was going to be my answer since it was midnight here (and I am awfully tired) - but I guess I have to explain this position further.

Please don't

These are the reasons :

1. JD Edwards has a large number of tables - almost 3500 totally. However, most companies only use ~250-300 tables. It would be necessary for you to identify WHICH of these tables that needed to be replicated. Never replicate transactional tables.

2. If you wish to have "top level" look at the positions in the company as far as balances etc etc - it may be necessary for all of the data to be consolidated somehow. Never replicate transactional tables.

3. A lot of the "static" tables often are not as static once certain types of functionality get pounced upon by users. Never replicate transactional tables.

4. Replication in JDE doesn't work very well. Especially with transactional tables.

Lastly - truly consider whether this is how you would have implemented a host-centric system. To guarantee maximum data integrity - you would have tried to place the database/logic onto a mainframe somewhere and had users connect into it remotely. Why not continue in the same vein ? Almost all JD Edwards customers use Citrix Metaframe to provide a terminal session to remote users - and the bandwidth requirements are as low as you'll get.

Provide to your remote branches at least one connectivity solution - preferably two. For example, provide a dedicated WAN connection between the branch and your central office (Internet with VPN is fine) as well as a backup using a dialup solution. Citrix users work well off any 28.8 modem - the speed is at the server end, not the terminal end.

Lastly this will also help with any deployment of any development that you undertake (remember - all modifications are classed as development in JDE). It will also help you consolidate the data and ensure single control files such as Address Book, User Defined Codes etc etc.

Hope this helps. Gonna get sleep now. Don't replicate.

Jon Steel

ERP Sourcing
http://www.erpsourcing.com
[email protected]

Jon,

Your input, as ever, is excellent! Its nice to have someone on the list with your experience/knowledge. Please continue these posts even if the original poster doesn't give you a thanks. We appreciate it.

Now we definitely know not to replicate transactional tables :)

Cheers,

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld B733.1, SP 11.3
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
SandBox: OneWorld XE

I spotted your post and read with great interest. We've done something similar to what you're asking. Basically, we have 2 Deployment Servers and 2 Enterprise Servers on remote sites (in the UK). One of the sites is our Development environment and the other site is our 'Live' environment (once we go live!). We do all the development at one site and then 'promote' objects to the other site. The platform at both sites is different too - live environment AS400 - development environment NT/SQL.

Its been a long and rocky ride! We've had (and still experience) lots of issues with this setup. Definately wouldn't do this again in a hurry!

Back